Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

GPU Concurrency

SC_Huang
Beginner

i'm trying to analysis the openVINO object_detection_demo_ssd_async sample,

Using VTune Amplifier CPU/GPU Concurrency on i7-7700 platform

There was some warning message shows

Collection of GPU usage is not possible due to a lack of credentials. Make sure you have read/write access to debugFS. You may either run the analysis with root privileges (recommended) or following configuration instructions provided in the software event library help topic

Collection of context switches is not possible due to a lack of credentials.Make sure you have read/write access to debugFS. You may either run the analysis with root privileges (recommended) or following configuration instructions provided in the software event library help topic

So i copy the script and execute with root privileges

amplxe: Warning: GPU usage collection requires driver trace-points to be enabled in the driver kernel module. Make sure the kernel configuration option is set as CONFIG_DRM_i915_LOW_LEVEL_TRACEPOINTS=y.

and i tried to Rebuild and Install the Kernel, follow the step  on Intel® VTune™ Amplifier 2019 User Guide

But when building, I got failed

# make -C tools/ objtool
make: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic/tools'
  DESCEND  objtool
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic/tools/objtool'
make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic/tools/build CFLAGS= LDFLAGS= fixdep
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46/tools/build'
/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic/tools/build/Makefile.build:37: /usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic/tools/build/Build.include: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic/tools/build/Build.include'.  Stop.
Makefile:43: recipe for target 'fixdep-in.o' failed
make[2]: *** [fixdep-in.o] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46/tools/build'
/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic/tools/build/Makefile.include:4: recipe for target 'fixdep' failed
make[1]: *** [fixdep] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic/tools/objtool'
Makefile:63: recipe for target 'objtool' failed
make: *** [objtool] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic/tools'

So

1. How to run VTune GUI with root privileges?
  2. How to build kernel? why i got that error?
  3. Is it the way to solution?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Egor_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi Huang,

> why i got that error?
You got the error because you run make in linux-headers folder. linux-headers folder contains Makefiles and it can confuse, but this folder doesn't contain full source code for building the kernel.

> How to build kernel?
After the 3rd step in the instruction:

sudo apt install linux-source

you should have /usr/src/linux-source-x.y.z/linux-source-x.y.z.tar.bz2 archive with the source code of the kernel. You need to extract it, for example in /tmp/custom_kernel and go to the directory with the source code

cd /tmp/custom_kernel/linux-source-x.y.z

after that you can continue to follow the instruction from step 4.

> How to run VTune GUI with root privileges?
You can use sudo or su commands to run amplxe-gui binary. Do you have any problems with it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SC_Huang
Beginner

Egor S. (Intel) wrote:

> How to build kernel?
After the 3rd step in the instruction:

sudo apt install linux-source

you should have /usr/src/linux-source-x.y.z/linux-source-x.y.z.tar.bz2 archive with the source code of the kernel. You need to extract it, for example in /tmp/custom_kernel and go to the directory with the source code

Hi Egor, Thanks for reply.

In /usr/src/, I have linux-source-4.4.0 folder with bz2 archive ,

but is it the right kernel version to compile.?

I don't have kernel source for current version "4.15.0-46-generic"

0 Kudos
Egor_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi Huang,

It is recommended to use Linux kernel 4.14 or newer. After that you have added source packages in /etc/apt/sources.list and have run "apt update" command (steps 1 and 2 in Rebuild and Install the Kernel for GPU Analysis instruction) you can get the list of available source packages for Linux kernel using the following command:

$ grep -hs "^Package: linux-source-" /var/lib/apt/lists/* | sort -u
Package: linux-source-4.10.0
Package: linux-source-4.11.0
Package: linux-source-4.13.0
Package: linux-source-4.15.0
Package: linux-source-4.4.0
Package: linux-source-4.8.0

and after that you can install appropriate package, for example:

apt install linux-source-4.15.0

finally, you should have /usr/src/linux-source-4.15.0 directory with bz2 archive.

Thanks.

0 Kudos