Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Getting Error: The data cannot be displayed: There is no viewpoint applicable for the data

skumawat
Beginner

I have an application/process that is running on windows 2008 r2 server. I am attaching to this process using Intel vtune amplifier for performance analysis. 

But I am getting the below error once I start analysing the data after clicking the stop buttom:

The data cannot be displayed: There is no viewpoint applicable for the data

Am I missing something here. Pls help to resolve this problem. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...The data cannot be displayed: There is no viewpoint applicable for the data... I'd like to confirm that this is the error message from VTune, correct?
0 Kudos
skumawat
Beginner

Yes, That is correct

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

you say you attach to a process.  what type of process is this?  is it a Windows* service, by chance?

0 Kudos
skumawat
Beginner

Yes, this process is running as a service under "SYSTEM" account.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Yeah, so that's the problem.  Please see this article and search for other forum threads on this topic.  At this time, we can't attach to a System service and collect samples.  You need to restart the service under a different account so that we can attach to it.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...what type of process is this? is it a Windows* service, by chance?.. ***** ( Five ) stars for the question! >>...Yes, this process is running as a service under "SYSTEM" account. Is that the service designed and implemented where you work? If Yes, I think you really need to look at Microsoft's examples from Platform SDK ( any version ) how to design and implement Windows Service which could be debugged as a regular Desktop application.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Another method is to do lightweight-hotspots collection in system wide to specify Duration, all active processes will be profiled but without call stack info. But that is OK for you to find all hotspots in your interest of process.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Peter, I see that you're awarded the Intel Black Belt Software Developer title! Congratulations!
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Congratulations Peter:)

0 Kudos