Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Getting Fortran source info into VTune?

croucher1
Beginner

I've been up and down the Fortran and VTune support, and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. No Fortran examples in the VTune support...

All I ever get is "Line information is not available"

I just signed up for refactoring 100K lines of code, and I haven't done assembly language since the PDP-8. So if I don't get source info then I can't do the job.

I have a PDB file, and I've turned the map file off just to be safe. (Why does Intel add /mapinfo:lines if the linker doesn't support that command?)

Vtune 9.0 build 719

Intel Fortran 10.1.011

via Visual Studio

Current compiler command:

/nologo /Zi /Od /include:"Debug/" /warn:all /debug-parameters:all /Qauto /fpe:0 /iface:cvf /module:"Debug/" /object:"Debug/" /asmattr:source /asmfile:"Debug/" /traceback /check:bounds /libs:qwin /c

Link command:

/OUT:"Debug/cass_v4.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /NODEFAULTLIB:"dfconsol.lib" /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"C:cass41acass-v4.1cdcass_v4cass_v4debugcass_v4.exe.intermediate.manifest" /DEBUG /PDB:"C:cass41acass-v4.1cdcass_v4cass_v4debugcass_v4.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /STACK:184549376,184549376 /ENTRY:"WinMainCRTStartup" kernel32.lib

0 Kudos
3 Replies
g_f_thomas
Beginner

THIS MESSENGER NEEDS FIXING, pardon the formatting.

The only hope you have of getting a response to this is to

submit a request to Intel Premier Support to show you (and

many IVF users) that it can in fact be done. I don't believe

it's currently possible despite unsubstantiated claims that it can

and is being done with frequent regularity.

Gerry

0 Kudos
CTOptimizer
Beginner

This is a bug introduced in version 10.0. (Persists as of 10.1.011) Intel says it will be fixed soon.

The line number info doesn't get generated if you try to output assembly listings.

Get rid of the /asmattr:source option, and then rebuild.

You will then get the required line numbers.

0 Kudos
croucher
Beginner

Fixed. I'm not sure if installing the latest patch helped, but user stupidity was the proximal cause.

I was using VS2005 and and setting the debug parameters for the startup project thinkingthat all the projects inherited the settings of the startup project.

Not true, so I wasn't creating symbol information for 95% of my code and for 99.9% of my execution time. Manually setting the other 20 projects gave me all the symbol info.

0 Kudos