Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Getting binaries/modules from remote agent machine to analyzer

mnpmnp
Beginner
Hi,
I am using vtune remote agent and vtune analyzer both running on linux. vtune version is 9.1.
After the sampling activity has been run, when I am analyzing the data with still connected to remote agent, analyzer is able to get the binaries and libraries from remote agent machine except the kernel modules.
Instead, analyzer displays the message "vtserver:root@172.31.0.210:e1000e not found" and the option to choose the remote machine is greyed out (disabled).
I am stuck here. Anybody has any idea on this.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Historically, there was an issue with the module name, as recorded by the OS, was not the same as the filename. So "e1000e" may actually refer to "e1000e.ko", for example. Try locating the file on the remote system, copying it over to the local system, and then pointing the analyzer at this file when prompted.
0 Kudos
mnpmnp
Beginner
MrAnderson, thanks for response.
We are going to be updating with new build often target platform. So copying these files every time there is update in build is pain. Instead, I have given these file names in "modules of interest", which works. Only drawback here is all these kernel modules will be copied for every run of the sampling activity.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Thanks for the reply! This is a good BKM for people to know. I forgot that specfying a module of interest would cause the module to be copied to the host.

BTW, you can manage the files on the host in a couple of ways (at least two ways):
  1. the global data directory holds all information transfered from the remote system. If you get to a point where you are preparing to start the next phase of tuning or something like that, just delete everything in the global data directory (specified in the %VTUNE_GLOBAL_DIR% environment variable). Not, however, that if you do that, any data you have previous collected will have to be re-resolved and will require a connection to the remote system and maybe some monkeying around with the module information. So, only do this if you are sure you don't need to review any old data.
  2. You can use the Symbol Repository Files dialog to manage what is in the global data directory and you won't have to try to figure out which GUIDs belong to which modules, etc. In the Configure menu, select Options. Then, locate the Directories entry in the tree on the left and select Symbol Repository under that. Next, press the View Symbol Repository Files button.

3. Now, locate the modules from the old data collection and press the Delete button:

All files associated with that module will be removed from your Windows* system.
Hope that helps.
0 Kudos