Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

Hardware EBS support on Ivy Bridge-E i7-4930K

Simon_P_
Beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to install "Intel C++ Studio XE 2013 SP1 Update 2 for Windows" on my workstation in order to run VTune etc. however in the pre-requisite issues screen in the installer it's reporting that "The processor in this system does not support hardware event-based sampling". Is this true?

I looked at the release notes before I bought my license to Studio XE today but did not see there was a restriction on the support for the recent generation of Intel CPUs.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 with VS 2013 Ultimate & VS 2012 Ultimate. I also have a Xeon Phi 3120 installed. I've attached a dump from CPU-z for system ref.

Thanks,

Simon

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Ivybridge-EP processor should be supported in latest VTune(TM) Amplifier XE Update 15.

What is VTune version you use? Use "amplxe-cl -version" to check after installing the product. You may also check if VTune drivers have been installed by using "lsmod | grep sep", "lsmod | grep pax", "lsmod | apwr". If the drivers are not presented, go vtune/sepdk/src to build/install vtune drivers.

Recent VTune update15 for Windows* can be downloaded at https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=1686 ;

0 Kudos
Simon_P_
Beginner

Hi Peter,

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2013\bin32>amplxe-cl.exe -version

Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 Update 15 (build 328102) Command Line Tool
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved."

I'm not sure about the linux cmds you mentioned but I ran the following based on another posting:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2013\bin64>amplxe-sepreg.exe -i
Installing and starting sepdrv3_10...OK
Installing and starting sepdal...OK
Installing and starting VTSS++ driver...OK"

Although the installer reported the EBS warning, I continued the installation and although I've not used VTune before, it seems like it is actually collecting PMU events as I can run "Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge / Haswell Analysis -> General Exploration | Bandwidth" analyses.

However the other analysis modes under that section say the CPU isn't supported but I think this is a known issue/restriction???

So I think it may just be a spurious installer warning issue with Update 15 on my CPU id. One for a KI perhaps?

Thanks,

Simon

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

This should be the issue from installer, I think. (Sorry that I use cmd from Linux to check drivers, you work on Windows...)

0 Kudos