Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Hardware issue

newport_j
Beginner
When i start the amplxe-gui and name a new project and it opens, I get a"project name project is open" message.I then press then new analysis button and the "choose analysis type" window opens.

On the choose analysis type left hand column anything beyond algorithm analysis thatis chosen results inthe "start" and "start paused" buttonsbeing blued out (greyed out if black and white) for me. I assume thta blue out means the button is not available to use in this situation.

My computer has a Xeon four core 2gz chip that is hyperthreaded, soI can useeight cores if I want to do so.

Now Iam gussing the my hardware does not match any other hardsware that issupported in the analysis type column, thus all the options except Algorithm Analysis are unavailable to me.

Is this true or there is something wrong wth my installation?

Which is it.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Newport_j
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Rob5
New Contributor II

If you click on an analysis type where the start button, controls, etc. are disabled, a message appears with a red stop sign icon indicating the problem or additional information about the analysis type. In the case of the Advanced analysis types, a message will appear providing additional information about the microarchitecture the analysis type selected is specifically designed for.

Do you know the processor model (stepping information) you have on your system?

- Rob

0 Kudos
newport_j
Beginner

Yes, I have a 4 core Xeon cpu rated at 2 gz. I am guessing that it does not match any of the hardware options in Intel VTUNE AMPLIFIER software.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Newport_j
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
How did you configure the "target type" in project properties? Did you select "Launch Application", "Attach to Process", or "Profile System"? Not all analysis types are available for all target types.
0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

Thank you, I did see the processor specs. If you have the model number that would be great. However, I suspect that you may be running a newer processor perhaps the newest of Intel Microarchitecture Codename Sandy Bridge that is not yet supported by the latest release (update 7) of Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011.

- Rob

0 Kudos
newport_j
Beginner

Where in the Intel VTUNE Amplifier literature does it talk about this.? I have seen that in the project properties box and just took the default. I need to read more about it. The VTUNE Getting Started Tutorial does not have anything about it. At least I did not see it.

Newport_j
0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

The HTML formated on-line help for Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 Help can be found here. Project Properties options can be found to various degrees in the on-line help. Use the search functionality of the to search the various pages that reference a topic of interest.

- Rob

0 Kudos