Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Help with Command line syntax

Reshmi_Mitra
Beginner

Hi, 

We have recently migrated to VTune Amplifier from VTune Performance Analyzer. I will be using it as hardware sampling event-based collection for Intel Xeon machine. 

I am looking for equivalent command for the VTune Amplifier:

1. How to I collect multiple events using a command line? Earlier I had a sample event.cfg file which contained all the events I was monitoring. Here is a sample of how it was working in the older tool. What would be the Amplifier equivalent of Step 4 in the web-page?
  2. How to delete existing results files? Similar to "delete -all" in the old version. 
  3. How do I add command line arguments? 

Thanks for your help! 

regards,

Reshmi

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee

Reshmi,

Sure you can use VTune Amplifier XE for events collection. Please refer to this documentation topic. General ways to run collection are described here. Example of a command line with custom event list:

$ amplxe-cl -collect-with runsa -knob event-config=CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE,CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF,INST_RETIRED.ANY home/test/sample

0 Kudos
Reshmi_Mitra
Beginner

Hi Kirill, 

Thanks for your reply. Your command is working, but it is not exactly what I am looking for here. May be I have asked too many questions in a single post.

I am specifically interested in Hardware  Event-based sampling only. I am trying to write the equivalent for the following old VTune command :

> vtl activity -d 20 -c sampling -of event.cfg -app my_app_to_sample,"any options" run 

I would like to include all the events & their SAV values in a seperate config file. (It is important for the validation of a performance model I am designing.)  I have referred to the current VTune Amplifier documentation & could not find anything useful. 

regards,

Reshmi

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Reshmi:

The VTune Amplifier XE does not currently support an event configuration file like the old VTune Performance Analyzer did, but Kirill's reply will allow you to accomplish the same thing.  Just put the entire command in a script and execute it to collect all events specified on the command line.

Note: you can determine the set of events available on the current system with this command: amplxe-runss -event-list

This article may be of use, as well.

0 Kudos
Reshmi_Mitra
Beginner

Hi Mr. Anderson,

Thanks for your helpful comments. That makes sense. Now, back to my next two questions:

1. How to delete existing results files? Similar to "delete -all" in the old version. 
  2. How do I add command line arguments? 

regards,

Reshmi

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Reshmi,

1. There is no VTune project to manage your results (in command line), which are saved in different result directory. You can delete them manually.  Next time, you can create new one, and display result - such as, "amplxe-cl -report hotspots -r r000?hs"

2. I guess that you wanted to add program's arguments in amplxe-cl command? Simply append arguments with your application, for example:

amplxe-cl -collect -advanced-hotspots -r /tmp/2013-10-9/r000ah -- application arg1 arg2

0 Kudos
Reshmi_Mitra
Beginner

Hi Peter, thanks so much!

0 Kudos