Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Installing to alternative location to /opt/

griley-cs-man
Beginner
I wish to install the vtune software in a location other than /opt. While I can set the Installation directory for vtune to another location, it fails with

EntireX DCOM for Linux* component is being installed...
./.././data/install-vtune.sh: line 6428: cd: /opt/sag/exx/v721/INSTALL: No such file or directory
ERROR: Can't patch /opt/sag/exx/v711/INSTALL/exxenv file.
Installation failed. Please press to finish.

I assume this is due to the EntireX DCOM library being installed to /opt. How can I set it to install elsewhere?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - griley-cs-man
I wish to install the vtune software in a location other than /opt. While I can set the Installation directory for vtune to another location, it fails with

EntireX DCOM for Linux* component is being installed...
./.././data/install-vtune.sh: line 6428: cd: /opt/sag/exx/v721/INSTALL: No such file or directory
ERROR: Can't patch /opt/sag/exx/v711/INSTALL/exxenv file.
Installation failed. Please press to finish.

I assume this is due to the EntireX DCOM library being installed to /opt. How can I set it to install elsewhere?
Hi,

I reviewed install-vtune.sh: line 6428, it's .

You mayverify belowcheck points:
1. Did you install the product in "root" user?
2. Theinstallation directory could be other than '/opt', but it should not bein mounted/mapped/NFS driver- the directory should be in local driver.

If I changed Installation directory to /home/peter/opt/vtune, but EntireX DCOM directory never be changed - still in '/opt/sag/exx/v721'. Why can't you find '/opt/sag/exx/v721/INSTALL'?

By the way, the user has no way to change EntireX DCOM directory when installing the product (I'm using v9.1 Update 2)

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
griley-cs-man
Beginner
Hi,

I reviewed install-vtune.sh: line 6428, it's .

You mayverify belowcheck points:
1. Did you install the product in "root" user?
2. Theinstallation directory could be other than '/opt', but it should not bein mounted/mapped/NFS driver- the directory should be in local driver.

If I changed Installation directory to /home/peter/opt/vtune, but EntireX DCOM directory never be changed - still in '/opt/sag/exx/v721'. Why can't you find '/opt/sag/exx/v721/INSTALL'?

By the way, the user has no way to change EntireX DCOM directory when installing the product (I'm using v9.1 Update 2)

Regards, Peter
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

The reason I asked the question is because in our environment /opt is an nfs mount, and as such I wanted to install the software to an alternative location. I was aware our /opt wasn't a suitable place to install it.

I had expected the libraries to be installed in the directory specified in the installer -- just to clarify, are you saying that the libraries are hard coded in a particular path and there is no way of changing it. It seems a little inflexible, especially considering this is commercial software?

So given /opt is a network mount on our systems, how do you suggest we install vtune?

Thanks in anticipation
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The installer should give you a prompt which says do you accept /opt/intel/vtune/ and gives you a chance to specify another path. Everything goes in one place, except the workspace, which each user can specify, and must have write permission. The vtunevars scripts would be adjusted at installation to match the chosen path.
I suppose a concern is that delays introduced by nfs mount would impact the timing of vtune sampling, and degrade correlation of multiple sampling runs. Possibly, the restarting of the vtune driver at boot time could be interrupted by a slow nfs mount; then administrator would have to remedy it manually.
0 Kudos
griley-cs-man
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
The installer should give you a prompt which says do you accept /opt/intel/vtune/ and gives you a chance to specify another path. Everything goes in one place, except the workspace, which each user can specify, and must have write permission. The vtunevars scripts would be adjusted at installation to match the chosen path.
I suppose a concern is that delays introduced by nfs mount would impact the timing of vtune sampling, and degrade correlation of multiple sampling runs. Possibly, the restarting of the vtune driver at boot time could be interrupted by a slow nfs mount; then administrator would have to remedy it manually.

My main problem is that I don't want to install it in /opt, because it's a network mount, but when I specify it in the install program, it still tries to install libraries in /opt.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
You were correct when you said you assumed it was due to EntireX software. The EntireX software installation cannot be installed to any location except /opt. If that is not an option on your system, you could try installing the remote data collector and using a different system as the host. The remote data collector does not use the EntireX software.

0 Kudos