Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

[Instrumentation Engine]: Source/pin/elfio/img_elf.cpp: ProcessSectionHeaders: 601: assertion failed: SEC_vaddr_i(sec) >= IMG_se

Milian_W_
Beginner

Hello all,

I'm trying to use VTune's software analysis modes (basic hotspots, concurrency, locks&waits) but it seems like an update somewhere in the toolchain triggers a fail since recently. Now all binaries I'm trying to profile immediately abort with the following error message:

Collection failed
    Do 22 Jun 2017 15:01:40 CEST  Collection failed. The data cannot be displayed. 
    [Instrumentation Engine]: Source/pin/elfio/img_elf.cpp: ProcessSectionHeaders: 601: assertion failed: SEC_vaddr_i(sec) >= IMG_seg_text_vaddr_i(img) && SEC_vaddr_i(sec) < IMG_seg_data_vaddr_i(img)

I doubt that the ELF format changed. GCC is also not the reason, I believe, since it only broke recently on Arch but also breaks on older GCC 6... I've observed this issue on various distributions now, i.e. Ubuntu 17.04 with GCC 6.3.0 20170406, OpenSuse Tumbleweed and ArchLinux with GCC 7.1.1 20170528.

Any idea what's going on here? Maybe some kind of page protection mechanism that got enabled recently?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Milian_W_
Beginner

Oh, I forgot to add: I've observed this on both VTune 2017 Update 2 and Update 3.

0 Kudos
Milian_W_
Beginner

I realize this is a duplicate of https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-vtune-amplifier-xe/topic/737100, will add my info there

0 Kudos