Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Intel Inspector XE 2013 not working with Debugger in Visual Studio 2012

Antoine_S_1
Beginner

Hello.

I am evaluating Intel Inspector on a rather large C++ 32 bit multithreaded library on Visual Studio 2012 in windows, that produces an exel add-in (xll) and run from excel by calling cutsom functions.

Some algorithms in the library are multi-threaded (using the standard threading library from c++11 available in VS12), and I need to be able to detect and correct the race conditions, hence the evaluation.

The results from the analysis without debugger look accurate. However, I never yet managed to complete a session with debugger. I tried all possible ways (debug this problem, launch debugger then start analysis on breakpoint, launch with debugger straight on). Allways failed. Once, the whole VS12 hanged for 24 hours and I had to kill it. A couple of times, the app crashed and excel exited (this is not happening without the Inspector). And most often, the analysis closes after the first breakpoint is hit.

Please help?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

First at all, Inspector XE 2013 enhanced the integration of Microsoft Visual Studio* 2012 IDE since Update 2. Current product is Update 6.

Secondary, you have to specify the tester which calls your library as launched application, inspector will check data races for launched application and dynamical loaded library.

Inspector will do one of below three options: 

1. Using Inspector without in debug mode, that is, review report to know if there is data race. Inspector will not step into debugger if met error.

2. Enable debugger when problem is detected. If error was detected, will jump to debugger.

3. Select analysis at start location with debugger. That is, Inspector will be paused, run debugger and stop at module entry, then set a breakpoint, then you resume Inspector analysis to detect race in following code execution.

Did you mean that you have no problem to do option 1, and can't do option 2 or 3?

Thanks, Peter

0 Kudos
Antoine_S_1
Beginner

Dear Peter,

Exactly.

Option 1 works.

Options 2 and 3 do not. When the first data race occurs, and I press "continue" the application exits and the analysis closes instead of continue to the next problem. It also crached and/or deadlocked in a number of occasions.

I really want to purchase Inspector and work with it, however I need the integrated debugger to work.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Thank you for this valuable report. Can problem be reproduced within MS Visual Studio 2010 IDE?

Can you please submit this issue with following result to Intel Premier?

inspxe-feedback -create-bug-report <report archive> ; from C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Inspector XE 2013\bin32

0 Kudos
Antoine_S_1
Beginner

I don't know about VS10, I am not using it and it would take ocnsiderable work to transfer our  (huge) library to VS10 just to do this test.

I don't understand : "

inspxe-feedback -create-bug-report <report archive> ; from C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Inspector XE 2013\bin32

"

Please explain?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Antoine S. wrote:

I don't know about VS10, I am not using it and it would take ocnsiderable work to transfer our  (huge) library to VS10 just to do this test.

I don't understand : "

"

Please explain?

inspxe-feeback (in product) can retreive log file and your system info for dev team to investigate. Maybe you wouldn't like to attach these info on this public forum, that was why I recommend you to submit the issue with these info to https://premier.intel.com, if you have regsitered this product (both eval license and commercial license are OK)

0 Kudos