Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Intel Performance Counters!

aehusain
Beginner
Dear All,

I am a newbie to use Intel forum, thus please suggest if my forum selection is not upto the mark.

My question is pertaining to selection of performance counters to measure system events: cache references and dram accesses at the same time. I am having Intel Pentium D (3.2 Ghz) platform and am using Oprofile system wide profiler to collect these events. I plan to use
BSQ_CACHE_REFERENCE - to measure cache events
IOQ_ALLOCATION - to measure dram related bus transaction.

I tried to use them at the same time, but it fails. My guess is due to the presence of counter number 0 being used to sample both these events. First, please suggest if this conclusion is not correct? If my assumption is right, is there a way to profile both these events at the same time using hardware performance counters.

Thanks!
Ata
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - aehusain
Dear All,

I am a newbie to use Intel forum, thus please suggest if my forum selection is not upto the mark.

My question is pertaining to selection of performance counters to measure system events: cache references and dram accesses at the same time. I am having Intel Pentium D (3.2 Ghz) platform and am using Oprofile system wide profiler to collect these events. I plan to use

I tried to use them at the same time, but it fails. My guess is due to the presence of counter number 0 being used to sample both these events. First, please suggest if this conclusion is not correct? If my assumption is right, is there a way to profile both these events at the same time using hardware performance counters.

Thanks!
Ata

Hi Ata,

You said that you want to use two eventsat the same time. I think you used two events in one sampling's activity...am I right? Whatwas error message you got?

There is no conflict when you use "conflict" events in one activity...sampling data collector will run several sessions separately to avoid this.

So don't worry about this. Just add yourevents to thebox of sampling activity.

Please always use latest product (now is v9.1 Update 2), and refer to release notes of the product. Then you canknow supportsoperation systems andprocessors.
(If you use old product, sampling may say"Selected events didn't occur..." since old version doesn't support latest processors)

Regards,Peter
0 Kudos
aehusain
Beginner
Quoting - aehusain
Dear All,

Thanks!
Ata

Hi Ata,

You said that you want to use two events at the same time. I think you used two events in one sampling's activity...am I right? What was error message you got?

There is no conflict when you use "conflict" events in one activity...sampling data collector will run several sessions separately to avoid this.

So don't worry about this. Just add your events to the box of sampling activity.

Please always use latest product (now is v9.1 Update 2), and refer to release notes of the product. Then you can know supports operation systems and processors.
(If you use old product, sampling may say "Selected events didn't occur..." since old version doesn't support latest processors)

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for reply. But yes I am not able to start my system wide profiler (Oprofile in my case) if I use events having conflicting performance counters. If used then it does not start profiling of both concerned events.

Please suggest if you are observing something different.

Thanks!
Ata

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Ata,

You said "I am having Intel Pentium D (3.2 Ghz) platform and am using Oprofile system wide profiler to collect these events...". Sorry that I just realize that you may not use Intel VTune Performance Analyzer, but you know here is Intel VTune Performance Analyzer's forum. I answered your questions in previous post -allarefor VTune Performance Analyzer, you can know more from http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-vtune/

For collecting multiple events by using Oprofile system wide profiler, please go Linux* forum to submit your questions, I know a good URL at http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/, you can try.

Again, VTune Performance Analyzer has no such issue, whynot have a try?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos