Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Intel Thread Profiler for Linux?

priya_0401
Beginner

Hi ,

I would like to ask if Intel Thread Profiler is also available for Linux. I am really sorry for posting this question on the VTune performance analyzer forum, butI did not see a forum for Intel Thread Profiler and this seemed to be the next closest forum. If someone can direct me to a forum related to Intel Thread Profiler, even that will be useful information.

Regards,

Priya

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nicolae_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thread Profiler is available on Linux as well. What I used to do was to collect data on the Linux box and view it under Windows.

Hope that this helps.

Nick

0 Kudos
priya_0401
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I would be grateful if you could also tell me where I can find information on doing as you have suggested. I too read somewhere that Intel Thread Profiler is available on Linux through remote data collection, but Idid not finddetails on how exactly to go about it. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Priya

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The linux remote data collector tool comes with the Windows thread profiler. You also have the options of building your application on linux with the thread profiling (or, better for OpenMP, the openmp profiling link option), collecting a data file, andreading it intoyour Windows VTune installation. With so many possibilities, I doubt anyone can tell you "how exactly."
0 Kudos
David_M_Intel3
Employee

Priya,

If you have an active license for Intel Thread Profiler for Windows (either a commercial license or active evaluation). Login to registrationcenter.intel.com and you will see all the downloads for active products for which you have licenses. You should see a download for Intel Thread Profiler for Linux as well as Intel Thread Profiler for Windows. The Linux version is really a command line collector - you will collect the data on the linux system and view it on the windows system. After installing it you will run something like "tprofile_cl a.out" and this would produce thread profiler data for a.out. Data will be stored in a .tp file. The easiest thing to do next is to mount your Linux file system on windows through something like samba and just open up the file in Thread Profiler for Windows on the windows system. The alternative choice is to copy over the files to the windows system and then open the files.

-David

0 Kudos