Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Intel VTune Amplifier 2018 causes BSOD

K_R__Dilip
Beginner

I never thought I would see a BSOD these days but on Windows 7, trying to use ​Intel VTune Amplifier 2018 to profile a simple C++ application causes BSOD ​after which I am left with no option but to reboot the PC. This is a very simple C++ console application, about 10 lines, written just to play around with the VTune product and its capabilities.

​I built the application under 32-bit release mode with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017. Trying to inject __itt_resume() and __itt_pause() calls between the blocks of code I want profiled immediately causes it to BSOD when I start a new Advanced Hotspot Analysis. It also happens *without* the _itt* calls. All I have to do is to start an advanced hotspot analysis (basic hotspot analysis seems to work ok.)

​Any idea what I can do about it? We just paid a hefty sum to purchase this license and I don't want to saddled with an unusable product. Is there any problem with turning on MSVC's /PROFILE option when building the exe? Does that option conflict with VTune?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can you please make sure that you use the latest and greatest VTune Amplifier 2018 Update 2 and let us know if the problem still persists?

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
K_R__Dilip
Beginner

How on earth do I upgrade to Update 2? The registrationcenter.intel.com website which apparently maintains the license for my product, offers no way to upgrade. Neither can I find a way to trigger a "search for updates" activity from inside the VTune product itself.

This is all so terribly frustrating for a PAID product!

0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

I'll create a private reply to get some additional information.

0 Kudos
K_R__Dilip
Beginner

Not necessary. I managed to figure out a way to download Update 2 and install it.
Everything is good now. I am able to profile the same application successfully.
No BSOD happens.

Thanks for quickly responding. I would just recommend someone take a look at the
instructions written for how to upgrade a software via the license registration website.
What I found there and what I eventually ended up doing weren't the same.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Could you please paste a link on incorrect instruction here? we'll fix it as soon as possible.

0 Kudos