Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4559 Discussions

Intel VTune Amplifier 2018 causes BSOD

K_R__Dilip
Beginner

I never thought I would see a BSOD these days but on Windows 7, trying to use ​Intel VTune Amplifier 2018 to profile a simple C++ application causes BSOD ​after which I am left with no option but to reboot the PC. This is a very simple C++ console application, about 10 lines, written just to play around with the VTune product and its capabilities.

​I built the application under 32-bit release mode with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017. Trying to inject __itt_resume() and __itt_pause() calls between the blocks of code I want profiled immediately causes it to BSOD when I start a new Advanced Hotspot Analysis. It also happens *without* the _itt* calls. All I have to do is to start an advanced hotspot analysis (basic hotspot analysis seems to work ok.)

​Any idea what I can do about it? We just paid a hefty sum to purchase this license and I don't want to saddled with an unusable product. Is there any problem with turning on MSVC's /PROFILE option when building the exe? Does that option conflict with VTune?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can you please make sure that you use the latest and greatest VTune Amplifier 2018 Update 2 and let us know if the problem still persists?

BR,

Vladimir

K_R__Dilip
Beginner

How on earth do I upgrade to Update 2? The registrationcenter.intel.com website which apparently maintains the license for my product, offers no way to upgrade. Neither can I find a way to trigger a "search for updates" activity from inside the VTune product itself.

This is all so terribly frustrating for a PAID product!

Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

I'll create a private reply to get some additional information.

K_R__Dilip
Beginner

Not necessary. I managed to figure out a way to download Update 2 and install it.
Everything is good now. I am able to profile the same application successfully.
No BSOD happens.

Thanks for quickly responding. I would just recommend someone take a look at the
instructions written for how to upgrade a software via the license registration website.
What I found there and what I eventually ended up doing weren't the same.

Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Could you please paste a link on incorrect instruction here? we'll fix it as soon as possible.