Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Intel VTune XE and Java

pveentjer
Beginner
With the 9 release of Intel VTune it was possible to profile Java code and see which java instructions where causing performance problems. it was also possible to connect the Java code to the actual generated bytecode.

I have been looking through the documentation of XE, but I haven't found any remarks about Java. Does this mean that Java is not supported anymore?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
You are right! VTune Amplifier XE 2011 still doesn't support Java!
That means, the user still have to use VTune Performance Analyzer for Java* support.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
pveentjer
Beginner
He Peter,
do you know if this is planned? VTune is the only performance analyzer available that gives me access on seeing what is done on the instruction level. Other profilers (for the JVM) are useless for microbenchmarking since you won't see information on the instruction level.
0 Kudos
demko
Beginner
Hi Peter,
as per pveentjer's message, any plans for java suppport in VTune Amplifier XE 2011 ?
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Java support is a new feature request onlyfor current product right now, it may or may not be in future releases.
0 Kudos
tigtel
Beginner
Hi Peter,
May I ask where I can download VTune 9, which does support Java?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting tigtel
Hi Peter,
May I ask where I can download VTune 9, which does support Java?
Thanks!

Yes. Latest VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 U8 supports Java profiling.

If you already have registered product VTune Analyzer or VTune Amplifier XE 2011, please visit -
1) https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=1384. (for Linux*) -OR-
2) https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=1388. (for Windows*)
Select item named "9.1" from "Release". You can download v9.1 U8 product. See below example.

0 Kudos
tigtel
Beginner
Thank you!
That worked perfectly :)
0 Kudos
Dave_Kriewall
Beginner
Not working for me yet.The bulk of myJava program's execution time shows upunder "[Outside anyknown module]". There are some entry points into the JVM (e.g., JVM_FindSignal) and one or two entries that look likeJava methods (Java_sun_nio_ch_WindowsSelectorImpl_setWakeupSocket()).

Was there something special I needed to select in the project properties? I left "Managed code profilingmode" set to "Auto" but even trying it with Mixed or Managed did not change my results.

I can't tell what version of VTune Amplifier XE I have; the title bar says "XE 2011"; the about box says "(build 128765) Copyright 2009-2010 Intel Corporation." When I tried to download the 9.1 version (Windows installer), it simply tried to upgrade/repair the version of the product I have in place. Where would "9.1" appear in the product? Is this a separate product from 2011? Is it newer or older?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Not working for me yet.The bulk of myJava program's execution time shows upunder "[Outside anyknown module]". There are some entry points into the JVM (e.g., JVM_FindSignal) and one or two entries that look likeJava methods (Java_sun_nio_ch_WindowsSelectorImpl_setWakeupSocket()).

Was there something special I needed to select in the project properties? I left "Managed code profilingmode" set to "Auto" but even trying it with Mixed or Managed did not change my results.

I can't tell what version of VTune Amplifier XE I have; the title bar says "XE 2011"; the about box says "(build 128765) Copyright 2009-2010 Intel Corporation." When I tried to download the 9.1 version (Windows installer), it simply tried to upgrade/repair the version of the product I have in place. Where would "9.1" appear in the product? Is this a separate product from 2011? Is it newer or older?

What we talked is about VTune Analyzer 9.1 Update 8, which supports of profiling Java program.

0 Kudos