Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Intel Vtune is not loading data

Ayam
Beginner

Hello,

I am running an application on Intel Vtune (vtune_amplifier_xe_2013) on the linux system (ubuntu).

using command-lin: /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2013/bin64/amplxe-cl -collect snb-bandwidth -app-working-dir /usr/local/hadoop -- /usr/local/hadoop/projwc

However, intel vtune is not loading data into the target file.

amplxe: Collection stopped.
amplxe: Using result path `/usr/local/hadoop/r025ge'
amplxe: Executing actions  0 %                                                 
amplxe: Warning: The result contains a lot of raw data. Finalization may take a long time to complete.
amplxe: Executing actions 14 % Loading data files                              
amplxe: Warning: Cannot load data file `/usr/local/hadoop/r025ge/data.0/tbs1546692947.tb6' (tbrw call "TBRW_dobind(tbrwFile->getHandle(), streamIndex)" failed: invalid string (97)).
amplxe: Executing actions 50 % Generating a report 

The result file r025ge is empty.

If I run the application with small data set, vtune runs smoothly however I am getting above error with big data set.

I have actually posted this question couple of weeks back. I was suggested to check the heap size and it solved my problem. But now I am using different machine and I am facing the same error again. I have increase the heap size. Moreover, it also has been suggested by the one of the intel experts to use "target-duration-type=long" on the command-line. But problem remains the same.

I will appreciate your response.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@Maria M.

If you ran small data set, it can work. I doubt if system resource was exhausted after long run. Maybe you can check:

1. amplxe-cl -collect bandwidth -result /tmp/r000bw -app-working-dir /usr/local/hadoop -duration 120 -- /usr/local/hadoop/projwc

2. Manually invoke /usr/local/hadoop/projwc, then do - amplxe-cl -collect bandwidth -result /tmp/r000bw  -duration 600

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I have actually posted this question couple of weeks back. I was suggested to check the heap size and it solved my problem>>>

Not always what is solving the problem on one system will be a solution on the second system.

I think that you need try to tweak the setting of Java VM probably those related to the heap.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.express.doc%2Finfo%2Fexp%2Fae%2Furun_rconfproc_jvm.html

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Are you using U16, and suggest to generate results in /tmp since I don't know if you have enough space to store data in /local/usr for long run.

For example,

amplxe-cl -collect bandwidth -result /tmp/r000bw -app-working-dir /usr/local/hadoop -- /usr/local/hadoop/projwc

0 Kudos
Ayam
Beginner

@Peter Wang can you please explain what is U16. I have changed the result directory to home directory. I have enough space available but still I am getting the same error.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

U16 = Update number 16.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@Maria M.

If you ran small data set, it can work. I doubt if system resource was exhausted after long run. Maybe you can check:

1. amplxe-cl -collect bandwidth -result /tmp/r000bw -app-working-dir /usr/local/hadoop -duration 120 -- /usr/local/hadoop/projwc

2. Manually invoke /usr/local/hadoop/projwc, then do - amplxe-cl -collect bandwidth -result /tmp/r000bw  -duration 600

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I doubt if system resource was exhausted after long run>>>

Maybe there is a memory leak after long run?I tend to suspect hadoop implementation,but  @Maria is using Linux I do not know how to monitor heap usage on Linux.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

> but  @Maria is using Linux I do not know how to monitor heap usage on Linux.

Use "cat /proc/meminfo" to know?

My prior post to investigate: 1) If big data set with short run is OK? 2) System wide profiling (bandwidth) is OK? Application ran separately from VTune

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Thanks Peter.

0 Kudos
Ayam
Beginner

Thanks everyone to help me solve this issue.
I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Ahsan_Javed_A_
Beginner

Hi,

I am facing the similar problem and tried all the way arounds described in this forum but still no success. Here is a log

amplxe: Executing actions 14 % Loading data files                              
amplxe: Warning: Cannot load data file `/home/ajawan/Spark/kmeans/r00/data.0/tbs1526946420.tb6' (tbrw call "TBRW_dobind(tbrwFile->getHandle(), streamIndex)" failed: invalid string (97)).
amplxe: Executing actions 33 % Precomputing frequently used data               
amplxe: Warning: Cannot find data to precompute. Skipping the precomputation step.
amplxe: Executing actions 50 % Generating a report                             

Collection and Platform Info
----------------------------
Parameter                 r00                                                 
------------------------  ----------------------------------------------------
Application Command Line                                                      
Operating System          2.6.32-504.8.1.el6.x86_64 CentOS release 6.6 (Final)
Computer Name             valarauko.sics.se                                   
Result Size               121704299                                           
Collection start time     18:10:02 11/03/2015 UTC                             
Collection stop time      18:12:38 11/03/2015 UTC                             

CPU
---
Parameter          r00                                
-----------------  -----------------------------------
Name               Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5/E7 v2 processor
Logical CPU Count  24                                 

Summary
-------
Elapsed Time:  0.000
amplxe: Executing actions 100 % done        

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Can you please tell which VTune version do you use?

0 Kudos
Ahsan_Javed_A_
Beginner

I am using Intel vtune_amplifier_2013.

Problem occurs with the duration of measurement is larger than 1 min

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Can you upgrade to 2015 version?

0 Kudos
Ahsan_Javed_A_
Beginner

let me try  the free version and see if it solves the problem

0 Kudos
Ahsan_Javed_A_
Beginner

it does not help either

/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.2.0.393444/bin64/amplxe-cl -collect general-exploration -knob enable-stack-collection=false -knob collect-memory-bandwidth=true -follow-child -mrte-mode=auto -target-duration-type=short -no-allow-multiple-runs -no-analyze-system -data-limit=1024 -slow-frames-threshold=40 -fast-frames-threshold=100 -r /home/ajawan/Spark/wordcount/r00 -target-pid $vm_id

I have tried changing short to long and also increased the heap size as well but no success. 

0 Kudos
Ayam
Beginner

Have you tried increasing the "-data-limit" size.

0 Kudos
Ahsan_Javed_A_
Beginner

yes, I have also tried to set it to 0 as well. As a work around, I am collecting the data with -no-auto-finalize and then finalizing the result in the next command. It seems to to work for me

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Ahsan Javed A. wrote:

yes, I have also tried to set it to 0 as well. As a work around, I am collecting the data with -no-auto-finalize and then finalizing the result in the next command. It seems to to work for me

Setting data-limit as zero, it means that you can collect raw data unlimited (for long run application). It might cause finalizing time extra long, my opinion is to use duration option that can reduce raw data and shorten finalizing time (also don't use stack sampling, which has more raw data to be processed)  

0 Kudos
Ahsan_Javed_A_
Beginner

I am trying to run concurrency analysis with latest version of Apache Spark, but it is failed. I run the concurrency analysis in paused mode and resume it manually after some time, but in the paused mode, Spark based java process drop the cpu utilization to 0.3 and the logfiles generated by spark stop being updated that suggests the process get hanged. Outside Vtune, Spark applications work well and finish properly, so I suppose that It has something to do with Vtune. I have also tried attaching to process option, in that case, when I attach to the process, afore-mentioned behaviour tends to appear. I also tried  changing the duration but no success. 

FInd below the command, I am using

/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2013/bin64/amplxe-cl -collect concurrency -no-auto-finalize -start-paused -knob sampling-interval=10 -knob enable-user-tasks=false -knob enable-user-sync=false -follow-child -mrte-mode=auto -target-duration-type=medium -no-allow-multiple-runs -no-analyze-system -data-limit=5120 -slow-frames-threshold=40 -fast-frames-threshold=100 -app-working-dir /home/ajawan/Spark/kmeans -result-dir /home/ajawan/Spark/kmeans/r00 -- /home/ajawan/Spark/kmeans/kmeans $1

/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2013/bin64/amplxe-cl -finalize -r /home/ajawan/Spark/kmeans/r00

Any help or clue, where to look for will be deeply appreciated

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Several comments:

1. Current version is 2015 U4, but you used 2013. Can you please verify if the problem cab be reproduced in latest version?

2. <... I run the concurrency analysis in paused mode and resume it manually after some time...>  do you have insert resume API in code? Or you run "amplxe-cl -command resume -r r???cc. I know that you target process is java, but what will happen if you set "-mrte-mode=auto" option? You can filter result from profiling in whole period.

3. Is there any problem if you run advanced-hotspots or general-exploration instead of concurrency analysis? 

amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -no-auto-finalize -follow-child -mrte-mode=auto -no-allow-multiple-runs -result-dir /home/ajawan/Spark/kmeans/r00 -- /home/ajawan/Spark/kmeans/kmeans $1

4. As another workaround, you can manually launch app, then use "amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -analyze-system -duration 30" 

0 Kudos