Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Intelppm.sys

Deleted_U_Intel
Employee
Hi,
I have collected sampling results of my app. The intelppm.sys module takes most of the clockticks in the module view.
Double clicking on intelppm.sys shows RVA 0x2062. After double clicking on 0x2062 and selecting C:WINDOWSsystem32DRIVERSintelppm.sys I get "Can't locate module on disk. The source view window will now be closed."
How do I identify which part of my app is responsible for "calling intelppm.sys"? Is it possible to get a name of a functioninstead of 0x2062?
All your feedback is highly appreciated!
Thanks,
Bart
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous8
Beginner
I have made the same observation in VTune, however I also found that this driver uses a lot of memory bus bandwidth. However, all this driver does is pushing 0x0h on the stack so I wonder why. Is this the System Idle process ? If this is the case, then why is it consuming so much memory bandwidth ?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

This is actually a power-management process provided by Microsoft* Windows*. It throttles the CPU to save power. Make sure you have set your Power settings in Windows to max performance.

0 Kudos
eric_preisz
Beginner
That's odd. I've seem to seen this only on machines with hyperthreading. When I utilize the other thread, it goes away. Is that related to power consumption?
0 Kudos