Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Is there a way to show the reliability of the metrics in CLI ?

martinyyyy
Beginner

Hi,

Good day to you.

I notice that some cells are grey in the bottom-up window which read: This metric cannot be reliably calculated due to multiplexing issues or a low number of collected PMU samples. 

I want to know if I can get this result from the command-line interface. There are lines in the hotspots report that are unreliable which I can, but some are not so obvious. It would be a waste of time to check manually one by one using the GUI interface. What's the threshold of a low number of collected PMU samples?

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Martin,

The online documentation for this issue is available at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/troubleshooting/wrong-event-count-with-event-multiplexing.html and https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/analyze-performance/hw-event-based-sampling-collection/allow-multiple-runs-or-multiplex-events.html

Basically, the number of PMU hardware events VTune data collectors can monitor during a single run is limited by the processor, so VTune can "multiplex" the collection of multiple counters. The workaround when you experience this issue is to allow multiple runs (-allow-multiple-runs command line argument and "Allow multiple runs" GUI checkbox in the What -> Advanced pane).

To see the threshold for each event, in the GUI, expand the Details view in the How pane and scroll down to the "Events configured for CPU: ..." section where the events and "Sample After" values are listed. The sample after values are the counts that are triggering this message.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Martin,

Did the previous post answer your question? Can I close this issue?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Martin,

I am closing this issue, so Intel will no longer be tracking it.

Thank you.

0 Kudos