Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Latest Vtune and Mandrake 10/Kernel2.6.3 (-1 Invalid module format)

jmckinne
Beginner
Hi,
I got Vtune today and it seems to install just fine. The Eclipse GUI thing worked fine except when I tried to run a program. Apparently the kernel driver, while compiling fine, is messed up. If I try to do /etc/init.d/vtune start , then I get the below message. I assume this is because my kernel isn't supported? When will it be? What do I have to do to make Vtune work besides use an entirely different Linux distribution?
Thanks!
Jon
[root@relativity root]# /etc/init.d/vtune start
Loading the VTune analyzer sampling driver:
Executing: insmod /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/vtune_drv-x32-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GBup.ko
insmod: error inserting '/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/vtune_drv-x32-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GBup.ko': -1 Invalid module format
Error: sampling driver failed to load!
You may need to build a sampling driver for your kernel.
Please see the sampling driver README for instructions.
--------------
0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Instead of using 'vtune start', what happens when you use the insmod-vtune script in the /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src directory?
0 Kudos
jmckinne
Beginner
Hi!
Thanks for responding so quickly!
At first if I do that, then it complains that there's no driver, but that's just because I installed it using theinstall script and that driver wasmade in the untarred directory rather than the new directory. If I./build_driver then itgoes through fine. But then ./insmod-vtune gives the same message as /etc/init.d/vtune start .
Do I have to restart the kernel? I noticed the build_driver makes a new bzImage. Or does it just create a new compatible module that I can load right away? Sounds maybe naive, but I never saw anything in the instructions about having to install a new kernel.
I'll try installing thenew kernel anyways and report back.
Thanks!
Jon
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
No, you don't have to install a new kernel.
Check out the documentation in the vdk directory (/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/doc/HOWTO-BUILD-VTUNE-DRIVER) for more info.
You need to make sure the kernel sources are configured correctly and then build-driver should build the driver, but you will need to execute insmod-vtune to install the driver (remember where you tell build-driver to put it!).
Ultimately, if it doesn't work, there's not much help we can offer, since we haven't tested it and don't support Mandrake*. Sorry. :-(

Message Edited by DaveA on 04-27-2005 02:53 PM

0 Kudos