Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Meaning of CPU Time %

puneethn
Beginner

I am profiling an application to find hotspots in the cpu execution. I am running a threading analysis in intel vtune. I have attached a screenshot of the bottom up threading analysis. 
What I could not understand was the meaning of CPU time % when hovering over the CPU time in the timeline. For example, in the image attached for a timestep, the cpu time is reported as  18.3%. What is the exact meaning of this metric? What is it a percentage of? 

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel communities.

We are checking on this internally and will share you the updates.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

CPU Time metric value provided in the Thread area is applicable to a particular thread where 100% is the maximum possible utilization for a thread. 

From your screenshot, for the selected timestamp18.3% of CPU Time utilization means that the thread was active 18.3% of time and 81.7% it was waiting.

Please find the below link for reference.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/reference/user-interface-reference/pane-timeline.html

If this clarify your query, make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with similar issues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. Could you please provide an update?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. This thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Thanks

0 Kudos