Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Measuring Perforamance of a Apache-MySQL-PHP Web Application

shishir-jain
Beginner
Hi,

We are developing SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) Application and would like to Analyse the Performance of our App using VTune. Since our App run as Web Application as a instance of Apache http Server and using MySQL for Database, is it possible to analyse it using VTune? If yes, how?

Thanks & Regards,
Shishir Jain
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ravi_V_Intel
Employee

You can analyze the performance of your application. Call Graph can be used to analyze a single application. Sampling can be used to analyze running processes on your systemgiven a time period of interest. You can also use Counter Monitor to get a quick sense of how things are on your system during the application run. Please let us know if you have any specific questions about what kind of performance investigation you are embarking on.

0 Kudos
shishir-jain
Beginner

Hi Ravi,

I need to evaluate the scaling up of the application with respect to the load. Scaling up depends upon the performance of Apache and MySQL to utililize multi-cores by distributing processing to each thread. Our App (which is written in PHP) runs inside the context of Apache thread and makes multiple calls to MySQL server for database queries. I need to see the performance bottlenecks and be able to optimize the same.

I need to to run VTune on Linux. Now since neither my App nor any of the Apache (HTTP) or MySQL (Database) are stand-alone process, I'm unable to understand how do I run VTune?

Quoting - RAVI (Intel)

You can analyze the performance of your application. Call Graph can be used to analyze a single application. Sampling can be used to analyze running processes on your systemgiven a time period of interest. You can also use Counter Monitor to get a quick sense of how things are on your system during the application run. Please let us know if you have any specific questions about what kind of performance investigation you are embarking on.

0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Shishir Jain,

As Ravi's post indicated, there are different methods of measurement in VTune. "Sampling" happens system-wide and will therefore display performancenumbers for all of your processes. Follow the Sampling Wizard in VTune and select not to start an application. The default settings will measure for 20s where the CPU cycles are spent on the system. This should give you an idea where to start optimizing.

Kind regards
Thomas
0 Kudos