Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646

Memory profiling not working

Llopis__Andres
Beginner

Hi there!

I am using vtune amplifier 2019 on linux. I have compiled with debug symbols, in fact in hotspots I can correctly see the hotspots in the code, however when trying to analyze memory consumption, I run my program with trace children and everything and I can see with top that the program is allocating up to 10Gb of memory, but this is not seen at all on vtune amplifier. I only see memory associated with some of the linux tools (dirname, readlink, bash, etc... )  but not with my application. I have set the minimal dynamic memory object to 32.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

When you run Hotspots - was it software based or hardware based? Can you try both and check they are working correctly? 

If you can provide us reproducer - this would be great.

Llopis__Andres
Beginner

Hi Dmitry, I cannot run hardware based since I have a AMD cpu. Is memory consumption not supported without hardware based collection? I am happy to provide a reproducer, could you please tell me how to do that? thanks

Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

You can attach the files here on the forum. If you can't share publically - contact me by mail dmitry.ryabtsev@intel.com

Llopis__Andres
Beginner

Hi Dmitry,

sorry for the delay coming back at you. Unfortunately I cannot send you the files, but what could be part of the problem is that our program is a python program that runs cpp code through boost::python. Looks like hotspots can see through that but for some reason maybe not in memory analyzer

Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

Can you share VTune result? Maybe we can understand what is wrong from it...