Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Intel Customer Support will be observing the Martin Luther King holiday on Monday, Jan. 17, and will return on Tues. Jan. 18.
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646

Method/function invocation trace logging

shuhao_z_
Beginner

I want to analysis a large open-sourced java framework with Vtune Amplifier.

In particular, I want to log the method invocation sequences during its execution.

Each output entry should contains "method name, calling time, existing time".  (Either instruction level or method level.)

How may I have it using Vtune? Currently, Vtune reports the aggregated information, e.g., the number of instructions retired each method, but I need the execution sequence.

Any helps are appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi:

You should try the "Basic Hotspots" analysis type, though, I am not sure what you mean by "calling time, existing time".  Perhaps you could clarify.

Remember, VTune Amplifier is not a tracing tool.  It is a performance profiler that uses statistical sampling to show a representation of where your application is spending most of its time.  However, Basic Hotspots will show you the total amount of time spent in a function and the amount of time spent in functions called by the function.