Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Missing source file information on Xeon Phi of C++ version of matrix example

Jeongnim_K_Intel
Employee

I'm trying to use C++ to generate different versions of gemm based on the samples included in amplifier. All I've done is to make one of the multiplication function to be a template function and use it with a basic matrix class. If I compile the code on the host, amplifier clearly shows the source file, a header file, and the line and corresponding assembly code. But, I cannot do the same when I compile the code using the native mode. The columns for module/function/source file are empty. Here are the compilation and I'm doing the simple hotspot analysis. CPU: icpc -g -restrict -O3 -fopenmp -I. -o matrix.xeon matrix.cpp MIC: icpc -mmic  -g -restrict -O3 -fopenmp -I. -o matrix.mic matrix.cpp Compiler version 14.0.2 20140120 There is no problem running c code using the Makefile in matrix_vtune_amp_xe.tgz. First, I blame cmake but I must be doing something basic incorrectly. Thank you in advance, Jeongnim

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Regarding that this is performance tool's forum, I suppose that you might submit this issue onto the forum of Intel® C++ Compiler 

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Vtune analyzer for mic has no default search path.  Binary and source search paths are set separately on properties menu.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Tim is right. If you can't find symbol info after data collecting with native binary on MIC, please use below example in command line: 

amplxe-cl -collect -knc-hotspots --search-dir all:rpm=$dir -- ssh mic0 /root/app, 

-OR-

amplxe-cl -collect -knc-hotspots -- ssh mic0 /root/app , THEN

amplxe-cl -finalize --search-dir all:rpm=$dir -result r001??

0 Kudos
Jeongnim_K_Intel1
Thank you for the suggestions. It appears that the compiler option "-debug inline-debug-info" is needed to get the source/assembly information as well as setting the paths properly. I will check with the compilers guides. JK
0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee
By the way: if you also need kernel module vmlinux symbols to be resolved you need to add the path to kernel module with symbols on host to VTune search directories. Usually it resides in /opt/mpss/_YOUR_MPSS_VERSION_/sysroots/k1om-mpss-linux/boot/. So the command line will look like: amplxe-cl -collect knc-hotspots --search-dir=/opt/mpss/3.2/sysroots/k1om-mpss-linux/boot/ --search-dir=_my_app_dir_on_host_ -- ssh mic0 _my_app_on_target_
0 Kudos