Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Module and Function are the same in hotspots analysis report

santoshsridhar
Beginner
Hi,
I am using the CLI tool for the Vtune Amplifier.
After the hotsspots analysis, I see the entries under Function and Module as one and the same
For ex: under function [abc] and under module "abc" in the report.
Ideally we should have seen th e functions within the module.
Request some info regarding the same.
Thanks,
Santosh
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee
Hello,

Do you have full debug/symbolinformation for the modules that are affected? Doe this happen for all modules, or are you able to see the functions in some modules but not others? Sometimes the module name is provided if VTune Amplifier XE cannot resolve the function names from the available debug information.

Can you post the command lines that you are using to collect the data and generate the report?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
santoshsridhar
Beginner
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I am seeing this for all modules.
The command lines used were:
$amplxe-cl -collect hotspots /home/../
- To collect the hotspots
$amplxe-cl -report hotspots -r
- to generate the reports.
Can you give more info on the specific debug info required?
Thanks,
Santosh
0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee
Hello,

When you build your application, you should have the compiler generatesymbol debuginformation. This can usually be done via a compile flag. For example, the -g flag for gcc. This information contains the source code locations of the instructions in the binary and is required to correlate data to source.

If you have this data inyour source, you mayneed to add theflag to the amplxe-cl -collect commandto tellVTune Amplifier XE where to find the information. For example add this flag:

--search-dir all:rp=/localdisk/mysourcefiles

To specify the top level directory to search recursively for all source, symbol, and binary information.

Have you tried using the tachyon sample in the Getting Started Tutorials? I recommend trying this to see if you can get source code information on a sample that has been tested and verified.

Please let me know how else I can help.
0 Kudos
santoshsridhar
Beginner
Thanks for the reply.
The format to find the hotspots through CLI accprding to help is
$amplxe-cl -collect hotspots a.out
I am using a shell script "main.sh" that in turn has a collection of executables inside.
example: $amplxe-cl -collect hotspots /home/../main.sh
I am seeing this problem only with the reports generated out of hotspots collection of above method.
Whereas, when I use the executable name as a stand alone, for ex.
$amplxe-cl -collect hotspots /home/../ ,I am able to see functions inside the Module/Executable.
I had a similar problem with Inspector XE but used the "-executable-of-interest" option that helped me solve the issue.
Thanks,
Santosh
0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee
Hello,

Thanks for the information. Since you are using a shell script there are a few things to try. Was the you mention above one of the executables from the script? If so, then you should have the necessary symbol information from the compiler. The next thing I would try would be adding the -follow-child flag the collection command.

Also, does the script finish before the executables or is it written in such a way that the script waits to finish?

Thanks.
0 Kudos