Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

My module is not listed in module list

krupavmukti
Beginner
Hi,
I am using sampling activity in VTune with .net profiling,I have launched my application and get the list of processes.but when i select exe of my process and click on "Display module" it is not giving me module of my application...so I am not able to analyze my code...Do I make any settings to get module of my application???
0 Kudos
21 Replies
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - krupavmukti
Hi,
I am using sampling activity in VTune with .net profiling,I have launched my application and get the list of processes.but when i select exe of my process and click on "Display module" it is not giving me module of my application...so I am not able to analyze my code...Do I make any settings to get module of my application???

There are three buttons to be filled(PATH, Arguements & Application PATH), carefully fill this button space with PATH where module or exe is being created or exist; Arguement to be used to run the exe if any; and exe PATH.

Also, first try the sample DEMO application w.r.t Getting_Started Guide document, follow as directed.

Also, check if VTune is properly installed.

~BR
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - krupavmukti
Hi,
Is it possible there is no enough workarounds in your code? Please increase your workarounds in code.
Is it possible that your workarounds dropped to call other system modules like as ntdll.dll?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
krupavmukti
Beginner
Quoting - srimks

There are three buttons to be filled(PATH, Arguements & Application PATH), carefully fill this button space with PATH where module or exe is being created or exist; Arguement to be used to run the exe if any; and exe PATH.

Also, first try the sample DEMO application w.r.t Getting_Started Guide document, follow as directed.

Also, check if VTune is properly installed.

~BR
Hi,
You have talked about 3 buttons to be filled(PATH,Argument,ApplicationPath)...will you please tell me exactly where i can find this buttons??1 thing I have to declare that I want to use sampling using .NET Profiling
0 Kudos
krupavmukti
Beginner
Is it possible there is no enough workarounds in your code? Please increase your workarounds in code.
Is it possible that your workarounds dropped to call other system modules like as ntdll.dll?

Regards, Peter
Hi,
You have told that there is no enough workarounds in code..But when i am going to launch an application it must be an .exe while my whole code logic is in .dll.So i have used to declare that dll in the area of "select module of interest".But then VTune is not allowing me to see the result. I mean, that analisys process is not started.So can i use some other way to analyse the code which is in dll or I must implement my code logic in .exe only.......
0 Kudos
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - krupavmukti
You have told that there is no enough workarounds in code..But when i am going to launch an application it must be an .exe while my whole code logic is in .dll.So i have used to declare that dll in the area of "select module of interest".But then VTune is not allowing me to see the result. I mean, that analisys process is not started.So can i use some other way to analyse the code which is in dll or I must implement my code logic in .exe only.......

I think Peter is trying to suggest that there may not be enough work (not workarounds) to keep your code busy long enough to register in the sample collector. You mentioned selecting .NET collection. Do you also have your VTune analyzer project configured to launch your application under control of the sampler? Does your application execute to your satisfaction? Does your application complete and return control to VTune analyzer? Do you see information in the log pane indicating progress through this process? Under normal circumstances VTune analyzer should collect samples in event sampling mode from anything that happens to be running at the time, and a lack of samples generally means the contained code was not executed, or at least not executed enough to collecta sample.

0 Kudos
krupavmukti
Beginner

I think Peter is trying to suggest that there may not be enough work (not workarounds) to keep your code busy long enough to register in the sample collector. You mentioned selecting .NET collection. Do you also have your VTune analyzer project configured to launch your application under control of the sampler? Does your application execute to your satisfaction? Does your application complete and return control to VTune analyzer? Do you see information in the log pane indicating progress through this process? Under normal circumstances VTune analyzer should collect samples in event sampling mode from anything that happens to be running at the time, and a lack of samples generally means the contained code was not executed, or at least not executed enough to collecta sample.

Hi,
You told about "may not enough work to keep my code busy...".so is there any minimum work limit that must be followed to analyze my code? yes, my application executes perfactly as per my requirement.and I can see progress of sampling in log pane.When sampling completed i get list of processes but when I select my application'exe and click on "display modules" button it is displaying all the modules from my system but in that module list i can't find my application module..so it may because of my aplication work is not enough??
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - krupavmukti
Hi,
You told about "may not enough work to keep my code busy...".so is there any minimum work limit that must be followed to analyze my code? yes, my application executes perfactly as per my requirement.and I can see progress of sampling in log pane.When sampling completed i get list of processes but when I select my application'exe and click on "display modules" button it is displaying all the modules from my system but in that module list i can't find my application module..so it may because of my aplication work is not enough??

Hi,

First I'm sorry that I mis-typed "workaround" yesterday, it should be "workload".

You can add long loop (e.g. for (i=0; i<6000000; i++);)in your code and retry, can you find samples dropped in your application module?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
krupavmukti
Beginner

Hi,

First I'm sorry that I mis-typed "workaround" yesterday, it should be "workload".

You can add long loop (e.g. for (i=0; i<6000000; i++);)in your code and retry, can you find samples dropped in your application module?

Regards, Peter
Hi Peter,
I have tried a "for loop" as you told.I got modules list when i select my application from process list and click on "display module" button.
As I have seen in video of VTune It displays "My application.exe" in module list.When you double click on that.It will display Function list of my application.and when you double click on function It will display the address,line,source,CPU_CLK_UNHALTED etc...
But when I select My application.exe and click on "Display module".It is displaying modules list but in that list I can't find "My application.exe".other modules are displayed to me,When i double click on any module the function list is displayed when i double click on that i got the error that "Line number information is not valid in this module only disambly view will be available do you want to countinue?" when I click yes I got display of address,source(only machine language),panelty and warnings,click ticks etc....Will you please guide me how to proceed to get "My application.exe" in modules list so that I can get function of my application and analyze my function code as source (not machine langauge as source)
Thanx, KRUPA

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - krupavmukti
Hi Peter,
I have tried a "for loop" as you told.I got modules list when i select my application from process list and click on "display module" button.
As I have seen in video of VTune It displays "My application.exe" in module list.When you double click on that.It will display Function list of my application.and when you double click on function It will display the address,line,source,CPU_CLK_UNHALTED etc...
But when I select My application.exe and click on "Display module".It is displaying modules list but in that list I can't find "My application.exe".other modules are displayed to me,When i double click on any module the function list is displayed when i double click on that i got the error that "Line number information is not valid in this module only disambly view will be available do you want to countinue?" when I click yes I got display of address,source(only machine language),panelty and warnings,click ticks etc....Will you please guide me how to proceed to get "My application.exe" in modules list so that I can get function of my application and analyze my function code as source (not machine langauge as source)
Thanx, KRUPA

Hi KRUPA,

I suggest you to try VTune_Csharp_Example.exe from VTuneExamplesC#2003binRelease, you should can view this module in the list after sampling. I don't know what your current application is - you may submit an issue to https://premier.intel.com and attach your test app.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
krupavmukti
Beginner

Hi KRUPA,

I suggest you to try VTune_Csharp_Example.exe from VTuneExamplesC#2003binRelease, you should can view this module in the list after sampling. I don't know what your current application is - you may submit an issue to https://premier.intel.com and attach your test app.

Regards, Peter
Hi Peter,
I have tried VTune_Csharp_Example.exe In that I found VTune_Csharp_Example.exe.jit in module list as the same way i am launching my application but I dont find my application in modules don't know why! Thanks for providing the link.But when i try to browse it , quad error occure.Any other way to send my test app to you..Or pls let me know I have to make any settings to analyze my .net application code?1 more thing I have to tell that when VTune_Csharp_example stopping and starting IIS service,It gives bad_loop(function name) is started while in my application i don't find such test (Function Name) is started.Is there some problem like IIS is not configuring my application or function??I again remind you that I find my application exe in process list but not in module list

thanks, KRUPA
0 Kudos
allenz
Beginner
Quoting - krupavmukti
Hi Peter,
I have tried VTune_Csharp_Example.exe In that I found VTune_Csharp_Example.exe.jit in module list as the same way i am launching my application but I dont find my application in modules don't know why! Thanks for providing the link.But when i try to browse it , quad error occure.Any other way to send my test app to you..Or pls let me know I have to make any settings to analyze my .net application code?1 more thing I have to tell that when VTune_Csharp_example stopping and starting IIS service,It gives bad_loop(function name) is started while in my application i don't find such test (Function Name) is started.Is there some problem like IIS is not configuring my application or function??I again remind you that I find my application exe in process list but not in module list

thanks, KRUPA
Hi,
Thanks for sharing the quries on Module ...........hope it will work for me too.............. :)
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - krupavmukti
Hi Peter,

thanks, KRUPA

Hi KRUPA,

Example VTune_Csharp_Example.exe doesn't start/stop IIS service. You can do Sampling Wizard -> .NET* profiling -> Executable (not ASP.NET)...steps to collect the data, and find hot functions "bad_loop" and "good_loop"

Please send you problematical test application to zhen.yu.wang@intel.com - I will investigate this. By the way, do you use IIS in your application?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
krupavmukti
Beginner

Hi KRUPA,

Example VTune_Csharp_Example.exe doesn't start/stop IIS service. You can do Sampling Wizard -> .NET* profiling -> Executable (not ASP.NET)...steps to collect the data, and find hot functions "bad_loop" and "good_loop"

Please send you problematical test application to zhen.yu.wang@intel.com - I will investigate this. By the way, do you use IIS in your application?

Regards, Peter
Hi Peter,
I have gone through VTune_Csharp_Example.exe and I found that in that application you have used "console application".I have tried to use "Console application" it is giving me perfact analisys but in our company projects we have used "WPFBrowserApplication" project so i don't analyze my code so will you please let me know,Can we use VTune with "WPFBrowserApplication"??If yes,then how to proceed with "WPFBrowserApplication" to analyze the code??I am also sending my test application to zhen.yu.wang@intel.com.
Thanx, KRUPA
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - krupavmukti
Hi Peter,
I have gone through VTune_Csharp_Example.exe and I found that in that application you have used "console application".I have tried to use "Console application" it is giving me perfact analisys but in our company projects we have used "WPFBrowserApplication" project so i don't analyze my code so will you please let me know,Can we use VTune with "WPFBrowserApplication"??If yes,then how to proceed with "WPFBrowserApplication" to analyze the code??I am also sending my test application to zhen.yu.wang@intel.com.
Thanx, KRUPA

Hi KRUPA,

I'm not familiar with "WPFBrowserApplication" project, however it seems to use IIS. Am I right?

If so, you will choose "ASP.NET" to profile instead of "Executable". You should see warning about "All IIS and IIS dependent services will be restarted before the collection start. Can you have a try?

Thanks, Peter
0 Kudos
krupavmukti
Beginner

Hi KRUPA,

I'm not familiar with "WPFBrowserApplication" project, however it seems to use IIS. Am I right?

If so, you will choose "ASP.NET" to profile instead of "Executable". You should see warning about "All IIS and IIS dependent services will be restarted before the collection start. Can you have a try?

Thanks, Peter
Hi Peter,

Yes,My application is using IIS and I have tried to use "ASP.NET" to profile(not executable)and I found all IIS services restarted.But still the same problem occure.Even I have mailed you a little test application of "WPFBrowserApplication" on the EmailID given by you.So please go through it and let me know whether any solution I can find to analyze the code using VTune Analyzer?

Thanks KRUPA
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - krupavmukti
Hi Peter,

Yes,My application is using IIS and I have tried to use "ASP.NET" to profile(not executable)and I found all IIS services restarted.But still the same problem occure.Even I have mailed you a little test application of "WPFBrowserApplication" on the EmailID given by you.So please go through it and let me know whether any solution I can find to analyze the code using VTune Analyzer?

Thanks KRUPA

Hi KRUPA,

I didn't got your email so far - If you ZIP the file, please add password. Otherwise it will be filtered by firewall.

Thanks, Peter
0 Kudos
krupavmukti
Beginner

Hi KRUPA,

I didn't got your email so far - If you ZIP the file, please add password. Otherwise it will be filtered by firewall.

Thanks, Peter
Hi Peter,

Sorry,I have tried to E-mail you but I got delivery failure notice.So I am not able to send you my application by E-mail

Thanks, KRUPA
0 Kudos
krupavmukti
Beginner
Quoting - krupavmukti
Hi Peter,

Sorry,I have tried to E-mail you but I got delivery failure notice.So I am not able to send you my application by E-mail

Thanks, KRUPA
Hi Peter,

As I have mailed my application to you.pls gothrough it and guide me how to proceed with vtune using my application

Thanks, KRUPA
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi KRUPA,

That is good experience for me to learn "WPFBrowseApplication" project in Microsoft* Visual Studio 2008 by using File->New->Project->Other Languages->Visual C#->Windows to create a "WPF Browser Application" project.

It seems that the result of .NET sampling data collection for ASP.NET can't display WpfBrowserApplication1.exe.jit module in module list. It could be a VTune bug that managed code haven't be interpreted well. However the user still can run .NET call graph profiling and find "Main" function in wpfbrowserapplication1.exe.jit in the result.

I attached video files - pleasereview to know what I say.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

For WPFBrowserApplication -

We found that sampling .NET profiling for ASP.NET can't generate .jit module which should be in module list.

Also call graph .NET profiling for ASP.NET can do ".NET classes only" mode, but not for native code. That is whythe usercan see three methods only and just "Initialize component()" source view can be displayed.

This is a new feature request for VTune Performance Analyzer to support WPFBrowserApplication.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos