Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

'No data to show' after profiling

Savchenko__Alexander

Hi.

I'm using VTune Amplifier of RHEL 7.2, installed on VirtualBox VM, and trying to analyse C++ application.
VTune attaches to the process (by pid), starts data collection, but when I run test scenario and press 'Stop', it shows me 'No data to show. The collected data is not sufficient.' message on Summary page, and no any information about functions called, their execution time on other pages.

Can you please tell me, why this could happen and how can I fix it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Alexander,

could you please describe in commands what you launched? (if you use GUI then just the settings you used)

Also it will be helpful if you can upload a result.

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Alexander,

If you're running VTune within Virtualbox, the access to CPU hardware monitoring features will not be available due to Virtualbox AFAIK doesn't virtualize PMU. This means, all the HW-based profiling features within VTune will not be available.

Though you still should be able to use SW-based Hotspots and Threading analysis.

0 Kudos
Savchenko__Alexander

I've used GUI with the following settings:
- User-Mode sampling
- Managed code profiling mode = Native
- Finalization mode = fast

Results attached.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Ok, thanks.

Now I have to ask you to update to the newest VTune and to try threading analysis (locksandwaits in old VTune).

And may I ask you why you use so old RHEL version? 

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
Savchenko__Alexander

RHEL version is a company software requirement. Due to this requirement I can't install VTune 2019 update 6 - it wants newer nss libraries version, than installed on server.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Got it. We'll look at the nss issue to support old systems. Thanks you for reporting this.

Did you have a chance to try threading analysis with workable VTune instance?

0 Kudos