Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

PID is not found

e_ustimenko
Beginner
Hello, everyone.
Try to use your VTune Amplifier. To start work read your manual (http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/amplifierxe/en-us/lin/start/index.htm) and try to do your example, but have a same problem:
Error: Process with the specified PID is not found. Specify another PID and try attaching again.
What I should do to solve this problem?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Evgeny,

Could you please provide some more info about steps you do:

- What is your OS?

- Visual Studio version, if used

- What example are you trying to build, is it tachyon_vtune_amp_xe?

- What type of analysis do you run Locks and Waits, Hotspots or another?

Also could you please double check the analyzed application is successfully built and selected as a VTune Amplifier target (VTune Amplifier XE->Project Properties->Launch Application)?

Screenshot of the error would be also useful.

0 Kudos
dehvidc1
Beginner
I've done this successfully with VTune on Linux. Are you using the correct PID for the process to which you wish to attach? You can get the PID from top etc And of course the pid will change between runs. ie you will need to update the the pid for each run.

Hope this helps

David
0 Kudos
e_ustimenko
Beginner
OS - Linux
Development tool - Eclipse
Example - tachycon_vtune_amp_xe
Target - hotposts
Properties are correct like in your example
0 Kudos
e_ustimenko
Beginner
How I can update my PID for each run?
0 Kudos
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee

You can specify the analyzed binary the following ways:

- Provide the executable file name as Launch application (VTune Amplifier XE->Project Properties->Target->Launch Application->Application). If youre going to analyze application from its start to end, this option is preferred. For the standard tachycon_vtune_amp_xe example try this one.

- Attach to the process of your executable (VTune Amplifier XE->Project Properties->Attach to Process). In this case your application should continually run when you perform analysis. You can specify the process by name or PID. If you choose PID, you should find it every time before starting analysis, e.g. using ps command.

0 Kudos
dinwal
Beginner
I am having the same problem. It used to work fine but something went wrong and I am no longer able to do hotspot analysis.
0 Kudos
dehvidc1
Beginner
Just need to use top or ps etc to identify the pid and re-enter this value in the project properties dialog.
0 Kudos
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee
Evgeny,
Have you tried to specify the sample application as Launch application (not attaching to process)?
If you are trying to attach to the process, the program should run for a long time enough, so you can find the process PID, set it in target settings, start analysis. Also the analyses should run for some time to complete.
The technion sample can run too little time to make all this actions, especially on a good multicore processor. It's possible that it finishes before the analysis is complete. In this case try to run single-threaded version, it should take for about 40 seconds. Also try to attach to a different process, that is definitly works long enough. E.g. some server application.
0 Kudos
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee
Dinesh,
Please describe what actions are you performing with more details. What kind of project do you run? How long does your program run? Maybe there is not enough time to complete analysis before it finishes?
0 Kudos
dinwal
Beginner
Sorry, I did not visit this thread earlier. I do not remember exactly what was wrong but I fixed the issue. If memory serves me well, it had something to do with privileges and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.
0 Kudos