Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Package update on the target is required

Suejb_M_
Beginner

Hi,
I am trying to remotely collect data on my target machine using the VTune Amplifier. The passwordless connection is already set up. When I try to connect to the remote machine, this is the message I get:

Detected VTune Amplifier build #367959 on the target system at ..path/to/vtune/installation... with the build #393444 on the host. Package update on the target is required. Amplifier cannot detect remote machine configuration.

Since I have no sudo access to the remote machine, I need to provide the system administrator with the exact command that needs to be run to do the update. I am using CentOS and the package manager is "yum". Could you please provide me with a command that needs to be run to update the VTune Amplifier? 

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

First at all, you need to use same version both on the target and the host. It meant to install data collector and command line on the target (no GUI required) and full product on the host.

Additionally, you need to check if vtune drivers have been loaded on the target, so PMU event-based sampling can work on the target properly. (which needs root privilege or sudo to install all drivers). Otherwise, please use basic-hotspots.

I give you my article about using VTune for remote access, 

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

First at all, what I provided you that host machine is Windows or Linux, now you are using OSX.

I cannot see your image via URL...you can attach image file on this forum, can't you do it?

I haven't experienced of using OSX as host, now I asked helps from other team member. Please wait...if you don't see any response I will work on this next week. 

0 Kudos
Suejb_M_
Beginner

Hi Peter,

I think you misunderstood me. What I am trying to do is the following:

I have a server machine (Linux), which has a xeon processor (host) and the xeon phi coprocessor (device), and I have my client machine (personal laptop, OSX). The server has installed the Intel Parallel Studio with the vtune amplifier as well. And on my laptop I have the Vtune GUI application, and now I want to remotely connect to the server so I could trigger application analysis with the vtune. 

So far the configurations seems to be ok, except that the build of the vtune on the server with the vtune on the host is not compatible. See the image for details:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsmfxaxsh06nujs/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-26%20at%2013.57.58.png?dl=0

Regards

Edit: Somehow while trying to attach the image the post disappeared, thats why I reposted it with the attachment.

0 Kudos
Kevin_O_Intel1
Employee

Currently you can only use your VTune(tm) Amplifier on your OSx system to visualize the results you have previously collected,

If you copy the result to your  OSx laptop you can analyze them using VTune but you cannot run a collection.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Kevin_O_Intel1
Employee

Sorry for my last reply. I was incorrect. We added the capabilities to do remote collection from OSx.

The error message that you show above is because the version of VTune you have installed on Linux and the one you have on your OSx system do not match. The build numbers need to match in order to run remote. If you check help->about->details you can see what version of VTune you are running on your OSx system.

It's best if these match exactly and we do use the build number to find the remote package.

You can also change this location using Project Properties->Advanced

Change the VTune remote location to be the one you have on your remote system.

Regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Suejb_M_
Beginner

HI Kevin,

Exactly, the builds do not match. So since the build on my local machine (OS X) is greater than the one on the Linux, I assume that the second one needs an update. My question is: How to update the VTune on a Linux machine from command line, shall I download the latest version and reinstall, or is there a command that tells the VTune to get the latest files from Intel servers?

Regards

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Thanks for assistance from Kevin.

I practiced remote data collection from OS X* to Linux*, I can reproduce this problem if versions are different on OS X* and Linux.

For solution and more detail info, please see my article

0 Kudos