Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Probably .tb5 files are corrupted or don't exist.??

rayeaster
Beginner
How can I use Vtune to evaluate my VC++ program? I am new here..
I am trying to use Vtune to find the hotspots in my VC++ program while I encountered several problems:
my Vtune version(Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1,Build:210)

1. if I choose TBS(time-based sampling), there will be an error popping up:Probably .tb5 files are corrupted or don't exist.?? I use Windows7, will that be a problem? I have found some guys facing the same problems but the resaon for them is Vtune do not support sampling in Vmvare or other virtual enviorment.
if I choose EBS(event-based sampling) this problem will not occur. Why is that?What is the difference between TBS and EBS??

2. EBS: When I clicked on the green triangular button(run activity) on top of Vtune, my program would just stop after executing several lines in the main.cpp when it came across a function call with the called function in another cpp file included in the same project with main.cpp. Why would the program stop??

3. Call Graph: When I clicked on the green triangular button(run activity) on top of Vtune,the Vtune will pop up a window saying: the applicaiton was unable to start correctly(0xc00000fd).Click OK to close the application.
I have compiled and debugged my program and guarantee it's correct. then Why Vtune tell me it can not start correctly?

could anyone give me some help here?
Really apprecaite your helps~Thanks for your time!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - rayeaster
How can I use Vtune to evaluate my VC++ program? I am new here..
I am trying to use Vtune to find the hotspots in my VC++ program while I encountered several problems:
my Vtune version(Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1,Build:210)

1. if I choose TBS(time-based sampling), there will be an error popping up:Probably .tb5 files are corrupted or don't exist.?? I use Windows7, will that be a problem? I have found some guys facing the same problems but the resaon for them is Vtune do not support sampling in Vmvare or other virtual enviorment.
if I choose EBS(event-based sampling) this problem will not occur. Why is that?What is the difference between TBS and EBS??

2. EBS: When I clicked on the green triangular button(run activity) on top of Vtune, my program would just stop after executing several lines in the main.cpp when it came across a function call with the called function in another cpp file included in the same project with main.cpp. Why would the program stop??

3. Call Graph: When I clicked on the green triangular button(run activity) on top of Vtune,the Vtune will pop up a window saying: the applicaiton was unable to start correctly(0xc00000fd).Click OK to close the application.
I have compiled and debugged my program and guarantee it's correct. then Why Vtune tell me it can not start correctly?

could anyone give me some help here?
Really apprecaite your helps~Thanks for your time!!

Hi,

Let me try to answer your questions.

1. Current product v9.2 Update 2 doesn't support Windows7* anymore, please use supported operation systems like as WindowsXP, Windows Vista*, or Windows Server 2003, etc. Also please don't use the product in Virtural Machine, like as VMWare, because EBS will use processor's physical registers - I don't think vtune driver can access these registers directly without VMWare's interfaces, at least it is not supported now.

2. About your program'srunning shortly with EBS, please use ModifyActivity -> change Duration from 20 seconds to 0 second -> Configure -> check on "When application terminates (before duration completes)". Thus, sampling will run no-time-limit until application stops.

3. Before using Call graph, please compile your application with compiler's option"/Zi", and linker's options "/DEBUG", "/Fixed:no". You also can verify if your application(including dependent DLLs) are instrumented correctly before running Call Graph, use Modify Activity -> Configure -> Instrument now -> check Instrumentation Status (and if there is Debug Info with the module).

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
rayeaster
Beginner

Hi,

Let me try to answer your questions.

1. Current product v9.2 Update 2 doesn't support Windows7* anymore, please use supported operation systems like as WindowsXP, Windows Vista*, or Windows Server 2003, etc. Also please don't use the product in Virtural Machine, like as VMWare, because EBS will use processor's physical registers - I don't think vtune driver can access these registers directly without VMWare's interfaces, at least it is not supported now.

2. About your program'srunning shortly with EBS, please use ModifyActivity -> change Duration from 20 seconds to 0 second -> Configure -> check on "When application terminates (before duration completes)". Thus, sampling will run no-time-limit until application stops.

3. Before using Call graph, please compile your application with compiler's option"/Zi", and linker's options "/DEBUG", "/Fixed:no". You also can verify if your application(including dependent DLLs) are instrumented correctly before running Call Graph, use Modify Activity -> Configure -> Instrument now -> check Instrumentation Status (and if there is Debug Info with the module).

Regards, Peter

Hi,Peter,
thanks for your help first.

However, I still got some questions here for you, if you have time.

1. As you noted before, "Current product v9.2 Update 2 doesn't support Windows7* anymore", does that mean if I use Vtune under Windows7, it will never do its work smoothly?
my Vtune version is : 9.1 not the latest v9.2 as you mentioned. So can I use it under Windows7?? Changing to another supprted system is the only choice?

2. I do check on "When application terminates (before duration completes)" when I configured the EBS test for my program but it still could not proceed to its end and stopped after a few lines in main.cpp just the same as before...

3. you told me that before using Call Graph, compile the program "with compiler's option"/Zi", and linker's options "/DEBUG", "/Fixed:no"." I really have no idea what you are referring to? Using the Intel C++ compiler??
and I checked the instrumentation status with an "OK". the application still encounter an automatically shut down problem...

thank you very much for your time!!
Reagrds, Ray

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - rayeaster

Hi,Peter,
thanks for your help first.

However, I still got some questions here for you, if you have time.

1. As you noted before, "Current product v9.2 Update 2 doesn't support Windows7* anymore", does that mean if I use Vtune under Windows7, it will never do its work smoothly?
my Vtune version is : 9.1 not the latest v9.2 as you mentioned. So can I use it under Windows7?? Changing to another supprted system is the only choice?

2. I do check on "When application terminates (before duration completes)" when I configured the EBS test for my program but it still could not proceed to its end and stopped after a few lines in main.cpp just the same as before...

3. you told me that before using Call Graph, compile the program "with compiler's option"/Zi", and linker's options "/DEBUG", "/Fixed:no"." I really have no idea what you are referring to? Using the Intel C++ compiler??
and I checked the instrumentation status with an "OK". the application still encounter an automatically shut down problem...

thank you very much for your time!!
Reagrds, Ray

Hi Ray,

I would like to answer your further questions.

1. Latest product is v9.1 Update 2, and I believe that this product hasn't been tested on Windows7. All we discussed under Windows* XP, Windows* Vista* or other supported operation systems.

2. Have you set Duration as "zero" or big value "1200 seconds" for example? VTune Analyzer has default Duration value is 20 sec, thus it will terminate the running applicationif time-out. EBS should not change your application's behavior - if you don't specify launched application, you still can use EBS to profile your application,I meanyou launch your application manually. What happens?

3. All options for Call Graph is not for Intel C++ Compiler specific, if Instrumentation Status is "OK" - Call Graph should work. Is it possible that you can attach your application with PDB files so I can verify on my side? (By the way, are you developing pure C++ code without managed code?)

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
rayeaster
Beginner

Hi Ray,

I would like to answer your further questions.

1. Latest product is v9.1 Update 2, and I believe that this product hasn't been tested on Windows7. All we discussed under Windows* XP, Windows* Vista* or other supported operation systems.

2. Have you set Duration as "zero" or big value "1200 seconds" for example? VTune Analyzer has default Duration value is 20 sec, thus it will terminate the running applicationif time-out. EBS should not change your application's behavior - if you don't specify launched application, you still can use EBS to profile your application,I meanyou launch your application manually. What happens?

3. All options for Call Graph is not for Intel C++ Compiler specific, if Instrumentation Status is "OK" - Call Graph should work. Is it possible that you can attach your application with PDB files so I can verify on my side? (By the way, are you developing pure C++ code without managed code?)

Regards, Peter

Hi,Peter,
thanks you again! I have to say, it's your help that propels me learn Vtune these days step by step in face of obstacles, really appreciate your help!

I have figureed out the reason for my program would stop just after starting to run the activity: the applicaition file(.exe) should be placed under the same directory as those source code files(.h and .cpp), not in a separated default directory(as "Release" or "Debug", for example).

The problem for now is, I have to run Vtune under Windows7, and I can do it successfully with EBS, but never with TBS and Call Graph. TBS popped up error message saying ".tb5 file corrputed or...bla bla bla" after my program had run smoothly(the same situation if I manually run my program as you suggested) while Call Graph just could not even start running the program...

any further suggestions would help a lot!
P.S.,I do not know what is a PDB file? Is it a part of Vtune project??if yes, Where can I find the PDB file related to my sampling or call graph project. my program is just simple C++ code, using VC2008 as compiler.and What is "manged code"??
Thank you very much!

Regards,Ray

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - rayeaster

Hi,Peter,
thanks you again! I have to say, it's your help that propels me learn Vtune these days step by step in face of obstacles, really appreciate your help!

I have figureed out the reason for my program would stop just after starting to run the activity: the applicaition file(.exe) should be placed under the same directory as those source code files(.h and .cpp), not in a separated default directory(as "Release" or "Debug", for example).

The problem for now is, I have to run Vtune under Windows7, and I can do it successfully with EBS, but never with TBS and Call Graph. TBS popped up error message saying ".tb5 file corrputed or...bla bla bla" after my program had run smoothly(the same situation if I manually run my program as you suggested) while Call Graph just could not even start running the program...

any further suggestions would help a lot!
P.S.,I do not know what is a PDB file? Is it a part of Vtune project??if yes, Where can I find the PDB file related to my sampling or call graph project. my program is just simple C++ code, using VC2008 as compiler.and What is "manged code"??
Thank you very much!

Regards,Ray

Hi Ray:

You are welcome!

Sorry that I don't understand why your program should be in same directory of source code. Is it possible that the application will read some data file in source directory when runnning?

Anyway, I'm glad that you can use EBS - that means vtune driver can work in Windows7, even it was designed for Windows* XP.

TBS uses system timer from operation system, I don't know if there is any change from Windows* XP to Windows7. That is the problem you met.

Call graph will use system DLLs and its library's DLLs (Windows*XP version), also I don't know ifit will impact on your using Call graph...

So please wait for future release which supports Windows7 formally.

(By the way, PDB is symbol file for your program if the user use compiler's option "/Zi",...)

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
rayeaster
Beginner

Hi Ray:

You are welcome!

Sorry that I don't understand why your program should be in same directory of source code. Is it possible that the application will read some data file in source directory when runnning?

Anyway, I'm glad that you can use EBS - that means vtune driver can work in Windows7, even it was designed for Windows* XP.

TBS uses system timer from operation system, I don't know if there is any change from Windows* XP to Windows7. That is the problem you met.

Call graph will use system DLLs and its library's DLLs (Windows*XP version), also I don't know ifit will impact on your using Call graph...

So please wait for future release which supports Windows7 formally.

(By the way, PDB is symbol file for your program if the user use compiler's option "/Zi",...)

Regards, Peter
Hi,Peter,
thank you very much for all these information and kindly help! Really appreciate that!
P.S., yes ,my application has to read some data from file from the source code directory so I think that's why i need to move it to there.

Thank you again and best wishes!

Regards sincerely,
Lei

0 Kudos