Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

Problem running VTune from within VS.NET 2003 environment

ferrad
New User
I am having problems running VTune from within the VS.NET 2003 environment. I am loading an EXE into VS.NET (not .vcproj). It works with other .SLN files.
When I load up the EXE, any time I click one of the VTune buttons at the top, I get the message:
"The parameter is incorrect." in a window titled "Microsoft Development Environment" with a big red X.
Adrian
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey ferrad,
Which version of VTune are you using?
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
ferrad
New User
7.2 build 16929 (30 day trial version)
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Looks like a bug to me! Which is to say, I have duplicated the problem andwill submitit to engineering.
In the meantime, is there a reason you want to load the EXE into VS.NET* and then use the VTune analyzer? Why not just run the VTune analyzer without the memory overhead of VS.NET?
Regards,

Message Edited by DaveA on 07-18-2005 04:54 PM

0 Kudos
ferrad
New User
I cannot get the application to launch through VTune.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Can you be a little more explicit? I mean, if it doesn't work in the VTune GUI it isn't going to work in the VS.NET GUI either! :-(
Please tell me why type of application it is, what tools you are generating it with and how you are attempt to use the VTune analyzer on it?
For example, is it a C# .EXE built with VS.NET 2003? Are you using the Call Graph or Sampling wizards?
Thanks,
0 Kudos
ferrad
New User
It works fine in the VS.NET GUI. However when I try to start it from the VTune GUI, it goes away trying to load various bits then gives me a graph of % CPU time taken. But it doesn't actually run the application (no application GUI comes up), so the graph results are meaningless to me.
It is a combined C++ / Fortran application - the GUI is in C++, and it calls the engines which is in Fortran. It is really the engine I am trying to profile.I'm trying to get an ordered list of the amount of CPU spent in each Fortran routine.
Adrian
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Try using the Call Graph Wizard, specifying the EXE as the application to launch, and ensuring that the EXE and DLL include complete debug info (i.e., both compiler and linker are generating debug info) and are built with relocations (i.e., /fixed:no link option).
Is the Fortran "engine" a DLL?
0 Kudos