Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Problem with VTune APIs resume/pause and -mavx option

Alfio_L_
Beginner
Hi there, I'm trying to implement the VTune APIs resume/pause in my code. I'm following the example from here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-call-resume-and-pause-api-from-fortran-code (case 1) Actually, I wrote the same code of case 1 and it works, but if I add "-mavx" to icpc -g test.cpp -I/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/include /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/lib64/libittnotify.a -lpthread -o test VTune doesn't collect anything (it doesn't resume, I think). I tried -msse3 and similar options and the problem is still there. I tried to change the code, but no hope. My conclusion is that it is something wrong with the -mavx and the VTune APIs (note that VTune collects data if I remove the APIs). Any solution? I know that for the moment I can remove -mavx, but this is part of a bigger code, so the option must be there when running on Sandy Bridge. I'm running on Linux64 and the compiler version is: Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 13.0.1.117 Build 20121010
Copyright (C) 1985-2012 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. Best regards, Alfio
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
The trick is that Intel Composer XE compiler will do "powerful" optimization if added "-mavx" option. Original example code turned off optimization switchers, if you used "-g" option and without others. The advantages of built program could be "do nothing" after optimizing - if the compiler analyzes there is no result to be used, for example. In this case, application terminates quickly and VTune Amplifier XE cannot capture any result. If you use "-O0" option, you will see expected result. Another way is, you can add "sleep (1)" following the statements of switching to resume/pause state in example code, use VTune to analyze again. You will see CPU running state and "Empty" state in "timeline" report (CPU utilization is low for "sleep").
0 Kudos
Alfio_L_
Beginner
Hello, thanks for the answer. You are right for the linked example, but things are a little bit more complicated in my code.... As I said in my email, I'm trying pause/resume in a big code, which takes (the part I'm interested on) for sure more than 10 seconds. It is a Fortran code and I'm using these options to compile (with -mavx as you suggested): O2 -g -openmp -mavx -vec-report2 -warn -funroll-loops -fpp -free -nogen-interfaces and for linking I have also added: -static -Wl,-upthread_attr_setstack,-udlclose (the -Wl,-upthread_attr_setstack,-udlclose is needed to get VTune working) Then I run VTune with: amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -start-paused -- This is the output: Executing actions 50 % Generating a report Summary ------- Elapsed Time: 23.792 CPU Time: 0 CPU Usage: 0 Executing actions 100 % done and I don't see anything in the GUI. Further investigation shows that the culprit is the static linking. If I remove it, I get: Executing actions 35 % Resolving information for `libc-2.11.3.so' Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `/lib64/libc-2.11.3.so'. Executing actions 35 % Resolving information for `libtpsstool.so' Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2013/lib64/libtpsstool.so'. Executing actions 36 % Resolving information for `libpthread-2.11.3.so' Warning: Cannot locate symbols for file `/lib64/libpthread-2.11.3.so'. Executing actions 37 % Resolving information for `libittnotify.so' Warning: Cannot locate file `[stack]'. Executing actions 50 % Generating a report Summary ------- Elapsed Time: 25.509 CPU Time: 657.411 CPU Usage: 31.844 Executing actions 100 % done The output is OK. Therefore I will remove the -static option for the VTune tests. Best regards, Alfio
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
"-static" option is not allowed for VTune, the tool needs to do dynamic instrumentation when analyzing. Thanks for the update.
0 Kudos