Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Problems importing data gathered by command line from AWS host

Large__Dominic
Beginner

Hi,

I've setup vTune profiler on an AWS linux installation where we are running processes in Docker.  I don't have direct root login access on the host, so need to run vTune with sudo directly on the host (root is necessary to allow vTune to delve into the Java process running in Docker).

After the run, I copied the results directory to a local Linux VM which does have GUI access.   Following the guidance on this page:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-help-importing-results-to-gui

When I try to import without ticking 'Import via a link instead of result copy', I get the following failure message:

"cannot import the result because the current project already has a result with the name"

That is the complete message.

I then try importing with the 'Import via a link...', this time I just get a spinning 'progress' image, but it never returns.

Can anyone advise on what is going wrong here?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ArunJ_Intel

Hey Dominic,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

The failure message is because you already have a result with the same name in the vtune project to which you are trying to import your results. This issue can be solved with any of the following quickfixes

1)Create a new project and import your results to the newly created project.

2)If you need to import to the existing project itself. You should  rename both the result directory as well as the ".vtune" file that you are trying to import.

3)Another alternative is to specify the name of result directory, when collecting results via the commandline, as in the below example. So you can make sure to use different names for your results to avoid conflicts

vtune -collect threading -result-dir C:\test\uniquename  -- C:\test\myApplication.exe

Hope this helps.

Thanks 

Arun Jose

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hey Dominic,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

The failure message is because you already have a result with the same name in the vtune project to which you are trying to import your results. This issue can be solved with any of the following quickfixes

1)Create a new project and import your results to the newly created project.

2)If you need to import to the existing project itself. You should  rename both the result directory as well as the ".vtune" file that you are trying to import.

3)Another alternative is to specify the name of result directory, when collecting results via the commandline, as in the below example. So you can make sure to use different names for your results to avoid conflicts

vtune -collect threading -result-dir C:\test\uniquename  -- C:\test\myApplication.exe

Hope this helps.

Thanks 

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Large__Dominic
Beginner

Hi Arun,

Thanks for your reply. I had already tried #1, but got the same result, so tried #2 but again even with a completely different name I got the same error.  I'll try #3 and see whether that makes a difference then post back here (I have just been accepting default names for the result directories).

There weren't any errors in the copy, but I had wondered whether there would be any logs that I could check to see if anything was logged about the attempt to import - I suspect not as it fails instantly when I try a 'normal' import.  The import via link I left running from 7pm last night to 9am this morning, but it was still just spinning; no high CPU so I'm not sure what it was doing.

Thanks,

Dominic

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hey Dominic,

Please go ahead and try out #3

Meanwhile could you please recheck , when you tried out #2 if you did rename both the result directory as well as .vtune file.

Also if your objective is just to view the collected vtune results you could try the "open" >> Result , option  instead of "import results" and let us know if this works for you.

Thanks

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Large__Dominic
Beginner

Hi Arun,

On #2, yes, I did rename both.

As suggested, I tried just opening the result, and VTune reported an 'unexpected error' - a Segfault from vtune-worker - I have forwarded the crash report to parallel.studio.support@intel.com

I will still try #3, but haven't got that far yet.

Thanks,

Dominic

0 Kudos
Large__Dominic
Beginner

Hi Arun,

I tried #3 finally, and this time I was able to read the output into my 'local' linux VM with the vTune GUI.  I'm not sure if it was naming or simply that there was a problem with the data collected yesterday - I suspect the latter though.

Thanks for your help on this,

Dominic

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hey Dominic, 

Glad to know your issue is resolved..Could you please confirm if we can close this thread.

Thanks

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Large__Dominic
Beginner

Thanks Arun, yes happy to close the thread.

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for the confirmation. Please feel free to raise a new thread in case of further issues.

Arun Jose

0 Kudos