Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Problems with additional-annotations.h

Harsh
Beginner

I use VS 2012 as my build environment on Win 7.However my VS never recogonizes the annotations header file,though it loads it.Can anybody suggest a workaround for this issue?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Barry_T_Intel
Employee

I have no idea what "the annotations header file" is.

This forum is for the discussion of Intel Cilk Plus issues.  I suspect you've posted the question in the wrong place.

- Barry

0 Kudos
Harsh
Beginner

the header file is used in parallel studio to mark areas where we want to bring in parallelism.

0 Kudos
Barry_T_Intel
Employee

Are you trying to use Intel Advisor?

- Barry

0 Kudos
Harsh
Beginner

Yes.I am basically analysing the improvement I am achieving by using Cilk.

0 Kudos
Ravi_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Harsh,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Would you be able to create a small test case and share it with me? You can send it to me at ravi DOT vemuri AT intel DOT com

In the meanwhile, please check the following:

• Mark the project with the annotations as "Set as Startup Project" to ensure that the annotations will be recognized
  • Try reproducing the problem with the sample projects available with the Intel(R) Advisor XE 2013

Can you also please clarify what you mean by the following: "However my VS never recogonizes the annotations header file,though it loads it"? I am assuming that you mean that the annotations are not detected by Intel(R) Advisor XE product. If you mean something else, please clarify.

Hope it helps.

Ravi

0 Kudos
Harsh
Beginner

My VS environment loads the header file but does not recononize ANNOTATE_SITE_BEGIN() .

0 Kudos
Zakhar_M_Intel1
Employee

Dear Harsh,

How did you discover that VS "doesn't recognize" ANNOTATE_SITE_BEGIN? Or in other words, what was exact indication of given problem?  I could imagine following cases:

1. After you added ANNOTATE_SITE_BEGIN(site_id) to some foo.cpp and also added advisor-annotate.h to your project,  MSVS compiler (which compiler version do you use?) still generates an error message like given one: error : identifier "ANNOTATE_SITE_BEGIN" is undefined
  2. After adding advisor-annotate.h you've got some error messages like "redefinition; different basic types" or some "symbol conflicts" (this rare case is covered here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/node/432358)
  3. When running Advisor Suitability or Advisor Correctness analysis - in Advisor' "result window" you see a warning message like following: "Your configuration might be incomplete... Insert annotations" or "No annotations found".

Please let us know if you took in mind one of 3 cases enumerated above (if yes, which one) or if you took in mind something else! Please note, Visual Studio itself doesn't recognize annotations. This is Advisor XE Visual Studio plug-in job to do some auto-detection stuff, and it's not exactly clear from your message ( "VS doesn't recognize ANNOTATE_SITE_BEGIN") what specifically "went wrong" in your environment.

0 Kudos
Harsh
Beginner

It does not recononize ANNOTATE_SITE_BEGIN....asks me to declare it.

0 Kudos
Zakhar_M_Intel1
Employee

Harsh, are you sure that you've added

#include "advisor-annotate.h"

in the same compilation unit (says the same .cpp file) as the one where you also added ANNOTATE_SITE_BEGIN?

I just noticed that you've used "additional-annotate.h" header file name in forum topic caption. But there is no such "additional-annotate.h" header files in existence. So, my suggestion just in case you really made this misprint, - don't use wrong "additional-annotate.h" header filename, but use "advisor-annotate.h" instead.

In general most common way to annotate loop in C++ code (as exposed via "Annotations Example" or "Annotation Wizard" features), is:

#include "advisor-annotate.h"// Add to each module that contains Intel Advisor XE annotations

// Don't forget to add reference to advisor-annotate.h (/I"%ADVISOR_XE_2013_DIR%"\include or specify absolute path instead) in your Build Settings or makefile

// Begin a parallel code region (parallel site)

ANNOTATE_SITE_BEGIN( MySite1 ); // Place before the loop control statement
// for (...) or other loop control statement
    ANNOTATE_ITERATION_TASK( MyTask1 ); // Place at the start of loop body. This iterative-task annotation identifies an entire body as a task. 
    // loop body
ANNOTATE_SITE_END(); // End the parallel code region, after task execution completes

0 Kudos
Harsh
Beginner

yes...im pretty sure they are in the same file...

0 Kudos
Holly_W_Intel
Employee

Can you make sure that you are including "advisor-annotate.h" and not "additional-annotate.h"

If that isn't the problem, could you attach the exact compilation output?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Harsh
Beginner

I performed a reinstall and thinga appear in order now. Thank you everyone!

0 Kudos