Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Profiling Python code with virtualenv?

Yuan__Jinghua
Beginner

I'm using Intel VTune XE 2016 to profile a program written in Python. Here's what I did:

1. source virtualenv
2. amplxe-cl -collect hotspots <Python script> <config file path>

But I got this at the beginning of the output:

amplxe: Error: Binary file of the analysis target does not contain symbols required for profiling. See the 'Analyzing Statically Linked Binaries' help topic for more details.
    amplxe: Error: [2018.05.21 11:11:46] /usr/sbin/ldconfig _init() instrumentation failed. Profiling data may be missing.
    amplxe: Error: Binary file of the analysis target does not contain symbols required for profiling. See the 'Analyzing Statically Linked Binaries' help topic for more details.
    amplxe: Error: [2018.05.21 11:11:46] /usr/sbin/ldconfig _init() instrumentation failed. Profiling data may be missing.

Any ideas about this? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

you need to set -strategy ldconfig:notrace:notrace to avoid this errors (https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-strategy). Also it will helpful to update VTune to the newest version.

0 Kudos
Yuan__Jinghua
Beginner

VLADIMIR R. (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

you need to set -strategy ldconfig:notrace:notrace to avoid this errors (https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-strategy). Also it will helpful to update VTune to the newest version.

Thanks! It worked like a charm!

But after some seconds it reported:

amplxe: Warning: Cannot stop posix timer: __NR_timer_settime() system call returned -1.

Any suggestions about this? 

0 Kudos
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

we know about this sporadic warning and in most cases it will not affect a collected result. But sometimes it can lead to lose of data about a thread where it has happened and if it's your case and it's repeatable please share the reproducer and we'll investigate the issue.

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos