Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

Quick Poll: Are you using Red Hat 7.1?

jeffrey-gallagher
Hey there hi there ho there forum members,

Intel marketing is curious, and so am I -->

Are you currently using Red Hat 7.1?

---- If so, which kernel(s) and do you intend to upgrade anytime soon?

---- If not, are you using another Red Hat version instead? Advanced Server 2.1? RH 8.0???

Chime in, team: we're all ears!

cheers,

jdg
0 Kudos
14 Replies
demianmnave
Beginner
Redhat 7.3 (with "borrowed" components from 8.0)
0 Kudos
kumark
Beginner
What are your upgrade plans, if any? RH 8.0? AS 2.1?

---kk
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey kk --> Good question.

We intend to support both, we're just trying to decide the order in which we'll do so. For now, looks like AS 2.1 will be supported quite soon, and 8.0 later.

(You're understanding the reason for this poll perfectly: if there aren't many 7.1 users out there, we can get to 8.0 sooner...)

cheers

jdg
0 Kudos
demianmnave
Beginner
I'll probably wait until 8.x, for some x > 1, before I upgrade.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Demianmnave,

Sounds like you've been burned before?

cheers

jdg
0 Kudos
stev1
Beginner
I use RH7.3 and SuSE 8.1 as linux systems.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
We're using RH 7.2 with kernels from our hardware
provider on HPC clusters.

If we're going to upgrade, it will be >= RH 8.1
0 Kudos
logger
Beginner
I'm using RH8.0, so I haven't gotten a look at vtune yet. What's the expected time line for that distro?
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Great question, logger.

The fact is we're deciding that right now. Once we have the schedule nailed down and official, I'll post it here.

cheers

jdg
0 Kudos
geoff_leach
Beginner

We have a linux graphics lab which doubles as a cluster. We've just upgraded to RH8.0 from RH7.3. Under 7.3 I used ifc 6 and icc 6 for compiling MPICH.

I've been using ifc 7.0 on RH8.0 on my personal desktop for my Fortran 95 molecular dynamics code. Although I dont think RH8.0 is officially supported yet for ifc 7 it seems to work well for me, and a recent build seemed to have fixed the problem using the debugger. ifc 7 gave a significant performance boost (around 20-30%) over ifc 6 for my application.

There are features in RH8.0 which are a real win for me (antialiased fonts in particular). I'm hoping to compile MPICH on RH8.0 with the 7.0 compilers with the f90 stuff enabled rsn.

So my vote is for support for RH8.0 (with 8.1 supposedly RSN) for the vtune and the compilers ...

0 Kudos
normclerman
Beginner
We use SuSE 8.1 (and obviously are not currently using VTune, but will as soon as it's available for SuSE).

Norm
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey normclerman,

You won't have too much longer to wait. The next release of VTune CLI, called version 1.1 right now, will support SuSE 8.0, 8.1, and SLES 8.0.

Stay tuned: as soon as it's downloadable, we'll be trumpeting fanfares to let you know here. (Timeframe: very late March, very early April.)

cheers

jdg
0 Kudos
Daniel_B_Intel2
Employee
Jeff,

In our buildings RH 7.1 is the only version officially supported by IT. That means that 100s of engineers are working with RH7.1

-Daniel
0 Kudos
kumark
Beginner
Norm,

Please note that the recently released VTune Performance Analyzer 7.0 already supports SuSE distros including SuSE Linux 8.0 and 8.1 with the help of its remote agents for Linux.

As Jeff noted earlier, we are in the process of releasing the native Linux support for SuSE distros in our 1.1 release for the VTune analyzer for Linux product coming soon.

Thanks,
Kumar Kandaswamy
0 Kudos