Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Quick Poll: Debian Linux?

jeffrey-gallagher
Hey guys,
How many of you currently use Debian? Would use Debian if VTune supported it? Would you use VTune if it supported Debian?
All thoughts welcomed.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
27 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Also, what distributions of Debian* are you using?
0 Kudos
schorscherl
Beginner
Hi,

we're using Debian Woody (3.0) on a 300-CPU Xeon cluster.
We also use VTune heavily, but of course only on special
test machines that have SuSE Linux installed so we can
install VTune there.

We'd very much like to see VTune working on Debian. The
remote data collector would be of some help, but the full
thing would be much better.

Thanks,
Georg.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey Georg. thanks for the quick note.
Is there anybody else reading, who would use VTune on Debian if it were available?
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
kehyland
Beginner
Hi

Like Georg we're using Debian Woody (3.0r5) but only on a small
Xeon cluster. We are also using Debian Sarge (3.1) on a few boxes.

We would like to see VTune working on Debian.

Keith
0 Kudos
rutt
Beginner
We are using it as well on a handful of workstations (around 4), running Debian unstable with the stable kernels (2.4). We would of course like to see Debian well-supported in the industry, and therefore VTune support would be nice.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Thanks for chiming in, rutt.
This poll is going to stay open for a good long while. If you're reading, and use Debian, please add your voice to this list.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
joncooper
Beginner
I currently use Debian sarge on my personal machines, although the computers in our office mostly run Fedora Core 3. I'd still like to be able to use VTune on both though.
0 Kudos
hnaparst
Beginner
Yes. I'm frankly shocked that VTune doesn't support installs on
Debian-based distros. Ubuntu is #1 in the Distrowatch rankings,
and MEPIS is #4.

Even more disturbing is that if you try to use ICC 9.0 on
Fedora Core 4, you can't compile with the -ipo flag. The
error is that "(" isn't recognized!

I have been trying every single current distribution of Linux
in a vain attempt to find one that will seamlessly support
ICC, IPP, and VTune, but to no avail.

ICC and IPP work well on Debian-based distros and not on
Fedora-type distros. But VTune won't install at all on
Debian, because chkconfig doesn't exist.

That seems silly, because I don't want any VTune stuff started
at boot, anyway.

Can you tell me which environment *IS* supported ?

Harold
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Harold,
Supported OS versions for each product are listed in the release notes for that product. Those notes are available on line before you install:
I think you'll notice that typically, this includes the later versions of the commercial releases for Red Hat and SuSE in the case of VTune (whose forum this is).
For users who don't currently work with Red Hat and SuSE linux, we offer a remote Linux agent solution: install the agent on your Linux server, and run the VTune GUI from a second system, which has to be a supported Linux or Windows platform.
The remote agent (vtserver) is a much simpler program than the whole of VTune, and installs on a lot more than just the supported OS listings. You then launch profiling experiments from the GUI, targeting the remote agent, which is running on the system that your app-to-be-profiled is located on. Works like a champ.
As you can tell from this posting and its thread, we're extremely interested in knowing more about our Debian customers. If they require a command line or GUI solution, that the remote agent doesn't give them what they need, we want to know.
Also knowing you don't like the starting of the support layer of services for VTune at boot is good for us to know. (They can be started manually, but, arranging for them automatically at the start of multiuser mode is what most customers prefer.)
I had hoped somebody from Debian would partner with us,or at least take an interest in providing or simplifyingany possible workarounds to the current situation,but, BUGZILLA seems a less than satisfying process for that.
If there is progress along those lines, this forum will be the first to read about it.
jdg

Message Edited by jdgallag on 07-18-2005 08:08 AM

Message Edited by jdgallag on 07-18-2005 08:10 AM

Message Edited by jdgallag on 07-18-2005 08:12 AM

0 Kudos
fsanborn
Beginner
I am too interested in using vTune with Debian distro. In my case I need to have 2.6 kernal support as well.
0 Kudos
remalan
Beginner
I, myself use Debian Stable (Sarge) / Testing (Etch) for development of customer applications, and would very much like to see support for debian and debian-like distros

greetz

Remalan
0 Kudos
andrehe
Beginner
We are using Debian on some development machines, and other modern Linux dialects as well. I would like to see more support for Linux in general. The GUI should run on Linux, optimally using a portable, modern GUI toolkit (GTK+ 2, QT, etc.). Compiler support is somewhat lacking, only g++ 3.2 and 3.3 are supported. I would like to see g++ 3.4, 4.0 and 4.1 supported as well. On Windows XP, mingw (g++/msvcrt) 3.4.x support would be of similar importance. This would show a long-term perspective and real support for the product.
We are developing very complex embedded systems on multiple platforms and need a standards conforming C++ compiler to manage complexity. A single code base for multiple platforms (securing investions in software development) is very important for us, as well as tool availability.

Greetings,

Andr

0 Kudos
mhermanns
Beginner
It would be great to have support for Debian. At the moment I'm starting to use vtune and have to do it remotely to a RHEL4 machine. Definitely, Debian support would be great.

Greetings,

Miguel
0 Kudos
jochen_issing
Beginner
Hi All,

in our company, all Linux PCs are running Debian and some laptops are running (k)ubuntu. We are heavily awaiting a debian version of vTune and company.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I would be interested as I am setting up intel dev environment on Ubuntu Dapper.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Hi all,

We are currently using Debian, both Woody and Sarge, as well as some Ubuntu distributions.

We have been able to managed using Vtune rdc in all those distributions but It will be quite nice to have a proper installer without having to do work-arounds. To have a GUI in these distributions would be of great advantage for us.

Regards,

Alfonso.

0 Kudos
Chris_Samuel
Beginner
I'm using Kubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) and would really like to see Debian and Debian derived distros supported.

I've registered for both the C compilers and Vtune to play with on some free software projects I play with in my spare time and whilst there are scripts around to get the C compilers going I've drawn a blank with Vtune.

Back to hacking the install script to make it sane..
0 Kudos
Andrew_P_
Beginner
I'm also using Ubuntu 6.10. It would be most useful to have debian support, if not for the entire package then at least for vtserver.

I did muck around with trying to install it for (quite) some time but it looked like a bit of a deep hole :(
0 Kudos
nicolain
Beginner
running debian "sid" on development laptop (pentium m) and production server (2x xeon w/ ht) -- both on the 2.6.18 kernel.

currently using open source valgrind, but just downloaded the vtune tar-ball, and was a bit disappointed that it wouldnt install.

hope intel will get rid of chkconfig, as we will not consider another linux distro.

0 Kudos
gluhoff
Beginner
Hi,
I do and would use VTune if it supported Debian.
Cheers,
Val.
0 Kudos