Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

RDC: Call-graph ok, but problems with sampling ("other32")

rob_maidment
Beginner

Hello

I've built an RDC driver forFedoraCore3using the VDK. I'm using VTune 9.0. I can successfully perform remote callgraph profiling from my Windows system, all the drill-downs work fine, right down to source code level. However, I am having problems with sampling.

Firstly,my process is listed in the Process window using its PID, not its name. Secondly, once I've worked out the correct process, all samples are allocated to either kernel or "Other32". I'm trying to collect Instructions Retired and Clockticks, using EBS. I'm fairly certain my program is built correctly because like I say, call graph works fine. I'm also fairly certain (based on the callgraph results) that there should be plenty of samples occurring within my program's modules.

Any ideas anyone?

thanks, Rob

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
VTune call graph instrumentation doesn't depend on debug symbols, so I think you are stretching the analogy for module correlation in EBS. Are you trying to run without symbols? You may not find many people with recent experience of VTune on FC3, in case that is implicated in some way (e.g. outdated binutils).
0 Kudos
rob_maidment
Beginner

Tim

Thanks for the reply. When you say "symbols", do you mean debug symbols for my application or the kernel? I have built my application with debug information (the "-g" option for GCC) and I was assuming that I must have done this correctly because callgraph is working. I haven't rebuilt the kernel with debug information though. I understood this was only necessary if I wanted to see what was happening within the kernel. Are you saying that I need to rebuild the kernel for EBS to work at all?

thanks again,

Rob

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Yes, I was referring to the -g debug symbols. They aren't required for call graph, as far as I know. As you are able to install the VTune drivers, you have no problem with kernel configuration.
The PTU profiler, available on the WhatIf forum, has more options to gain recognition of source modules, although documentation may be lacking.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Note: I don't think the VTune analyzer ever supported Fedora* Core 3. As I recall, Fedora Core 3 was a very unstable release and we jumped from release 2 to 4, in regards to our testing.
0 Kudos