Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

RPM Database error

abalk
Beginner

After getting this error when trying to install the evaluation version,

ERROR: Cannot get shared lock on RPM Database.

Installation failed. Please press to finish.

I searched through the forum and saw many postings as long ago as 2003 where users where trying to install Vtune on NON-RPM based linux systems, and it wasn't supported and didn't work unless used via remote server.

Just wondering, is the current status of NON-RPM linux still that it is not supported? I am using Vtune 9.1 Update 8. My distribution is gentoo on a linux x86_64 system.

thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
In general speaking, you have to install RPM manager then install the product.

If you install / useLinux* RDC only of the product in the system, the method is - 1) Install the product in the system which has RPM Database. 2) Copy whole VTune directory to target system 3)Build/load vtune driver in target system. 4) Use vtserver to start-up RDC, Other system with whole VTune product to connect for remote data collection.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
abalk
Beginner

Just wondering what RPM offers that led to the design decision to have a hard dependency on it?

Why doesn't the standard method of installing software on linux using autoconf and configure scripts suffice for Vtune?

At least it might be a good idea to mention the RPM dependency in the documentation, release notes, or product website. As it is now, the user has no idea they need it, until the install fails.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting abalk

Just wondering what RPM offers that led to the design decision to have a hard dependency on it?

Why doesn't the standard method of installing software on linux using autoconf and configure scripts suffice for Vtune?

At least it might be a good idea to mention the RPM dependency in the documentation, release notes, or product website. As it is now, the user has no idea they need it, until the install fails.

I agreewith you that Release note has to describe about necessary software needed.
The install has to do check forPrerequisite Software, before installing theproduct.

Thanks, Peter

0 Kudos