Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

'Reads from the Processor' event cannot be collected

Anonymous90
Beginner
Hi there, I am using sampling to collect some event sampling. But somehow I cannot collect the following events, although "vtl -help -c sampling" shows those events:

Reads from the Processor
Writes from the Processor
All UC from the Processor

I am using Vtune Analyzer for Linux.

Thanks
0 Kudos
13 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher

Hey liang46051,

Interesting question!

I'm not really sure what you mean when you say they "cannot" be collected. Are you getting an error, or could it be that simply those processor events are not occurring -- or are so statistically insignificant -- that they show up as no data colelcted?

Can you tell us more about exactly what you're trying, and exactly what you're seeing? (Try some application that's simple, that shows the problem if possible).

Let's see some specifics here, and maybe the combined brainpower of the forum can make some useful suggestions.

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
Anonymous90
Beginner
Hi jdg, thank you for your reply. Here is the commands that I used: I use vtl -c sampling help to show the event for this platform and then use vtl command to collect the event listed but failed.

[root@rack]# vtl -c sampling help

vtune give the event lists.

[root@rack]# vtl activity -c sampling -o "-ec en= 'Reads from the Processor'" run
VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 for Linux*
Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

CTEBSCollector: Parser found bad event name: Reads from the Processor

If the event names contain special characters like '-' then make sure that each event name is entered between two "'"s.
'event name' For Ex: vtl activity -c Sampling -o "-ec en='Reads Invalidate Full - RFO (BSQ) (T1-E)'" run
Sampling collector options are incorrect; collection cannot continue...
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
What processor are you using the analyzer on and are you able to collect other events? Also, what locale is the system configured for?
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Also liang46051, something to try: I think I see a space where there shouldn't be one, after the =:
wrong:
en= 'Reads
right:
en='Reads
Just thinking out loud here. Be cautious, make sure there are no spaces and try again? (Or if that's just a typo, double check, make sure, and report back, please!)
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
Anonymous90
Beginner
Hi there, I am able to collect most of the events, but for some events that were listed, I am not able to collect.

And "elimilate the space" doesnot solve the problem. Here is the result.

[root@rack root]# vtl activity -c sampling -o "-ec en='Reads from the Processor'" run

CTEBSCollector: Parser found bad event name: Reads from the Processor

If the event names contain special characters like '-' then make sure that each event name is entered between two "'"s.
'event name' For Ex: vtl activity -c Sampling -o "-ec en='Reads Invalidate Full - RFO (BSQ) (T1-E)'" run
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
I believe I know what the problem is. If you dump the list of events with "vtl query -c sampling", how is this event displayed? On my system, it reads "Reads from the Processor (TI-E)". Therefore, you must include the "(TI-E)" in the event name. If I did this, it worked. If I left this out, as you have, I got the same error message. You must use the exact text, as displayed by the output of the query command, for the event name.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

Good catch, dl!

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
Anonymous90
Beginner
Thank you dlander, I tried "vtl query -c sampling", basically it shows the same event for "Reads from the Processor", the event name is the same with the one when I run "vtl help -c sampling"

here is part of the output when I run "vtl query -c sampling":

Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired
Packed Single-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired
Reads Invalidate Full - RFO (BSQ) (TI-E)
Reads Non-prefetch Full (BSQ) (TI-E)
Reads Non-prefetch from the Processor
Reads from the Processor
Scalar Double-Precision Floating-Point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired
Scalar Single-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired
Self-Modifying Code Clear

I do try the event you specified in the reply, but it still doesnot work, the error message is attached:

vtl activity -c sampling -o "-ec en='Reads from the Processor (TI-E)'"

CTEBSCollector: Parser found bad event name: Reads from the Processor (TI-E)

[root@rack root]# vtl activity -c sampling -o "-ec en='Reads from the Processor(TI-E)'"

CTEBSCollector: Parser found bad event name: Reads from the Processor(TI-E)

Thanks,
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

Thank you for this further information, liang46051!

I think the best thing to do now is for you to open a case at

http://premier.intel.com

You can even do pretty much a cut and paste of the latest bits of your description here, since it is pretty specific already! (This forum is an INFORMAL way of discussing user problems: the Premier site is the FORMAL way, and will get you into our mighty support system, which is what you want. Those guys eat this stuff up for breakfast!)

As always, feel free to post what you find here, or, to consider asking other questions as well. Let us know what happens!

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
Anonymous90
Beginner
jdgallag, do u know how to do I post a message there. I tried to login premiere.intel.com. But it keeps complaining that I dont have a account there.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Please return to the registration center (http://www.intel.com/software/products/registrationcenter/index.htm) and log in there. Then, select the link to Intel Premier Support. If you did not opt-in when you created your registration center log in, you will be able to do so from within the registration center.

Regards,

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
FYI for all the forum users out there. We finally got to the bottom of this problem. There is a mistake in the configure file that contains the event names. Specifically, some of the event names contain a trailing space character. To determine which ones, use this command:
vtl query -c sampling | grep "^[A-Z].* $"
So, for example, the following command does not work:
vtl activity -d 5 -c sampling -o "-ec en='Bus Accesses from the Processor'" run
but this one does!!
vtl activity -d 5 -c sampling -o "-ec en='Bus Accesses from the Processor '" run

This problem has already been fixed in the source, so the next release will not have this problem.
Later!
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
GOODNESS GRACIOUS I think I'd rather awk the Portland phone book than read grep regular expression-speak again! YIKES.
Great detective work, DaveA, and an equally impressive post!
BUT, for the real Linux geeks out there who think nothing is more fun than regular expression variables (not to be confused with SHELL METACHARACTERS, which are pretty much the same alphanumeric characters only with COMPLETELY different meanings), here's the meaning of DaveA's clever grep in English:
"Take the output of the 'vtl query -c sampling' command and pipe it into a grep statement where one or more last single characters in the line (.* $) are NOT the letters a through z, and show them to me."
Which in our specific case, means show me the lines that end in at least one space
Whew!
Happy grepping
jdg

Message Edited by jdgallag on 08-04-2004 02:42 PM

Message Edited by jdgallag on 08-04-2004 02:54 PM

0 Kudos