Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5065 Discussions

Roofline Plot, can only see main function

Sergio_
Beginner

So I am testing out Intel Advisor on a code in cpp I wrote, the code consists in one cpp with main funciton inside that calls several functions from another header. I want to check where these functions are one the roofline plot. I am on windows 11 and I am building the cpp file with the -g flag. The problem here is that when I run the roofline plot with characterization and survey checked I can only see the point for the whole main function (more precisely _tmainCRTStartup) but then when I try to go deeper into the callstacks I can't see the points for the other functions. What I am thinking is that it is showing only C files but not cpp files but I am not sure. If more informations to solve this problem are needed I can share them happily.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

It seems like 'Elapsed Time' of your loops/functions is too small. Could you please add more actual work there (not sleeps), e.g. couple loops with some compute operations inside?

0 Kudos
Sergio_
Beginner

I actually already tried it, I am doing something similar to a matrix multiplication with size 48K x 48K, here is the attached is the top down view I get with total time/self time/elapsed time/self elapsed time for the various functions.

Screenshot 2024-06-15 174411.png

0 Kudos
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

That looks enough from 'Elapsed Time' perspective. Have you got any other metrics as well? For Roofline chart 2 more are required - `Memory Traffic` and `FLOP/INTOP` count

0 Kudos
Sergio_
Beginner

If I understand it correctly, those entries are blank in my top down view, I am not sure why though since all the ticks in the characterization are selected.

Sergio__0-1718627678351.png

0 Kudos
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

That is the problem - have you used `--stacks` option to collect the data? 

0 Kudos