Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Running VTune amplifier on a HyperV virtual machine

Floris_C_
Beginner

Hi,

Is it possible to run VTune amplifier on a HyperV virtual machine?  Currently I get the following error when I try to run a hotspot analysis

11/17/14 11:15:49  Collection failed. The data cannot be displayed. 
    PMU resources are not available. Hardware Event-based Sampling is not supported on this operating system. PMU resources may be made unavailable either by the BIOS or Hypervisor.

The only thread I found on these forums with a similar issue was this one.   From my understanding the software was not running on a VM in this case - so disabling Hypervisor makes sense.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Please see the release notes, where it states:

• EBS analysis within a virtual machine is supported only in VMware Fusion* virtual environment. EBS is not supported within other virtual machine environments.

All software-based sampling *is* supported on VMs, e.g., Basic Hotspots, Concurrency, and Locks and Waits.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Sorry about being so terse, yesterday. We are seeing more requests for VM support.  But, I am wondering if the software-based collection is enough or not?  Also, why are you using a VM when performance tuning?  Will your product/application run on a VM, or is it just your development environment?

These questions are open to all forum members.  Please help us better understand our users! ;)

0 Kudos
Floris_C_
Beginner

Hi,

No worries.  I have been a bit busy these last 2 days - so didn't really have time to respond yet.  Our application is deployed on multiple VM servers in our production environment - and in order to get a true reflection of how our application performs there - we need to replicate the production environment as close as possible by running our test environments on VMs as well

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@ Mr.Anderson

I have received same requests from my customers. The reason is that VM environment is *real* environment for SW product's running, and users want to know performance counters (EBS profiling, such as cache misses, etc) on operation system based on VM.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Floris:

If I might ask, what "type" of application is it, that you would deploy it on VMs?  And, again, aren't the software-based collection types sufficient?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Floris_C_
Beginner

Its a modular application written in C++ (Native).  The modules are deployed as COM+ components on different VM's for load balancing - and to isolate certain modules from the rest (for security reasons).  Basic hotspots will give a basic idea - but ideally I would like to make use of Advanced hotspots as well

0 Kudos