Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4560 Discussions

Sampling Collector failed to collect data.

amitoj
Beginner
VTune version 2.0
Kernel: 2.4.20 (SMP)
Pentium4 2.8 GHz
Hyperthreading enabled.

The suspect command :

$> vtl activity SSETest -d 0 -c sampling -o "-cal yes -ec en='Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired'" -app ./cProg run

yields this output:

VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 for Linux*
Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

The Activity is running.
Thu Nov 11 11:01:16 2004 node3 (Run 0) The Sampling Collector is calibrating its collection parameters for the following event(s): Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired.
Thu Nov 11 11:01:20 2004 node3 (Run 0) The Sampling Collector is collecting samples based on the following event(s): Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired.
Thu Nov 11 11:01:21 2004 node3 (Run 0) The Sampling Collector failed to collect data because the selected event(s) did not occur.
The Activity has finished running.

I am sampling the following assembly routine:

global sse2PDouble
sse2PDouble:
push ebp
mov ebp, esp
push eax
push ebx
push ecx
mov eax, [ebp+8] ; a
mov ebx, [ebp+12] ; b
mov ecx, [ebp+16] ; c

movupd xmm0,[ebx] ; packed double-precision flop (mov)
movupd xmm1,[ecx] ; packed double-precision flop (mov)

mulpd xmm1,xmm0 ; packed double-precision flop (mul)

movupd [eax],xmm1 ; packed double-precision flop (mov)

here: pop ecx
pop ebx
pop eax
mov esp,ebp
pop ebp
ret

I call the above code through a C program. I am trying to verify whether VTune samples the "correct" events for SSE floating point ops. Surprisingly,
after several attempts and re-executing the suspect vtune command, i did get the correct result as appended below.

The Activity is running.
Thu Nov 11 11:09:37 2004 node3 (Run 0) The Sampling Collector is calibrating its collection parameters for the following event(s): Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired.
Thu Nov 11 11:09:41 2004 node3 (Run 0) The Sampling Collector is collecting samples based on the following event(s): Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired.
Thu Nov 11 11:09:42 2004 node3 (Run 0) Sampling data was successfully collected.

$> vtl view

Event Summary
Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired
1 = Samples collected due to this event
1 = Sample after value used during collection
1 = Total events (samples*SAV)

Module View (all values in decimal)

Module Process
Event Events% Samples Events Module Path
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cProg cProg
Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired 100.00% 1 1 /cProg

My question : Why is vtune not "consistent" in sampling events ? Thank you for your reply in advance.

- Amitoj
0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi Amitoj:
It appears from the output that your entire data collection run is only 1 second! This is not long enough to collect any statisically accurate data. Try calling the routine 100,000 times in a loop and collecting data for at least 20 seconds.
Regarding whether or not the VTune analyzer is "sampling the correct events", I can assure you that the processor validation team verifies every event of a processor and the VTune analyzer only exposes those events that pass validation.
amitoj
Beginner
Thank you DaveA for your prompt reply. I am trying to verify the precision to which VTune can record events. I did loop my code 100,000 times as you advised and i am appending my output. As before i had to execute vtl several times before it was successfully able to collect data but never the "precise" number of events. For all unsuccessful attempts i got the error "The Sampling Collector failed to collect data because the selected event(s) did not occur."

$> vtl activity SSETest -d 60 -c sampling -o "-cal yes -ec en='Packed Double -precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired'" -app ./cProg,"100000" run

VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 for Liznux*

The Activity is running.
Fri Nov 12 14:32:01 2004 node3 (Run 0) The Sampling Collector is calibrating its collection para meters for the following event(s): Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extensio n Instructions Retired.
Fri Nov 12 14:32:05 2004 node3 (Run 0) The Sampling Collector is collecting samples based on the following event(s): Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired.
Fri Nov 12 14:32:06 2004 node3 (Run 0) Sampling data was successfully collected.

$> vtl view

Event Summary
Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired
50820 = Samples collected due to this event
1 = Sample after value used during collection
50820 = Total events (samples*SAV)

Module View (all values in decimal)

Module Process
Event Events% Samples Events Module Path
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cProg cProg
Packed Double-precision Floating-point Streaming SIMD Extension Instructions Retired 100.00% 50820 50820 /cProg