Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Sampling Collector start failure

blansky
Beginner
Hi,
I have tried to start the Sampling Collector configuration from my"Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.0" but I have received an Error: unable to create environment file "./environment.xml" on hostname(ip)[ERROR] The Sampling Collector failed to start because the driveris not loaded now!

I have checked the driver (/vtune_drv-x32-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5PAEsmp.ko)that it matches the kernel (Linux ucdev 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Mar 24 12:39:24 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux)on my server machine and that it installed properly:

[root@ucdev vdk]# lsmod | grep vtune
vtune_drv 200748 0

Everything looks ok but still refuses to work.

Please advise.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
On the face of it, you may have to return (as root) to the directory where the driver exists, and run ./insmod-vtune. In my experience, wheh you build a driver in vdk/src, you must copy it to vdk in order for vtune to restart automatically on reboot.
Also, check that youhave write permission in your current directory, or in the directory which you specified should be current during the sampling run.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - blansky
Hi,
I have tried to start the Sampling Collector configuration from my"Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.0" but I have received an Error: unable to create environment file "./environment.xml" on hostname(ip)[ERROR] The Sampling Collector failed to start because the driveris not loaded now!

I have checked the driver (/vtune_drv-x32-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5PAEsmp.ko)that it matches the kernel (Linux ucdev 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Mar 24 12:39:24 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux)on my server machine and that it installed properly:

[root@ucdev vdk]# lsmod | grep vtune
vtune_drv 200748 0

Everything looks ok but still refuses to work.

Please advise.

I suggest to check:
1) If this was not caused by vtune driver, please run vtl - "vtl activity -c sampling -d 10 run". If you are using "root" user, there should be an environment.xml file under /root/VTune/Projects.

2) Try vtlec with "root" user, if you use default workspace under /root, vtwrkspc.vws should becreated under /root, and environment.xml should be under /root/Project1/.vtproject.data. If you can't see this,I suspecta) You may have write-permissionproblem to create xml file, orb) vtwrkspc.vwsis destroyed.As a workaround, you canuse other folder as workspace, or deletedestroyed vtwrkspc.vws manually and redo.

3)Is it possible that you can copy workable environment.xml to /root/Project1/.vtproject.data?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
blansky
Beginner

I suggest to check:
1) If this was not caused by vtune driver, please run vtl - "vtl activity -c sampling -d 10 run". If you are using "root" user, there should be an environment.xml file under /root/VTune/Projects.

2) Try vtlec with "root" user, if you use default workspace under /root, vtwrkspc.vws should becreated under /root, and environment.xml should be under /root/Project1/.vtproject.data. If you can't see this,I suspecta) You may have write-permissionproblem to create xml file, orb) vtwrkspc.vwsis destroyed.As a workaround, you canuse other folder as workspace, or deletedestroyed vtwrkspc.vws manually and redo.

3)Is it possible that you can copy workable environment.xml to /root/Project1/.vtproject.data?

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,
I'm not using "root" user but I have checked your sugestions in my environment. First of all I didn't find any "vtl" to run.
Second because that I'm not a "root" user my environment.xml located under /opt/intel/vtune/rdc/global_data/vtserver_blansky/ and I don't have any *.vws file. I do have "Project.Master.Linux.Remote" file underthe same/opt/intel/vtune/rdc/global_data/vtserver_blansky/ directory. So the question is if the files that I have are enough or I should have the structure that you have described above (and if yes what should I do to create the similar environment)?
0 Kudos
dan_p
Beginner
Quoting - blansky

Hi Peter,
I'm not using "root" user but I have checked your sugestions in my environment. First of all I didn't find any "vtl" to run.
Second because that I'm not a "root" user my environment.xml located under /opt/intel/vtune/rdc/global_data/vtserver_blansky/ and I don't have any *.vws file. I do have "Project.Master.Linux.Remote" file underthe same/opt/intel/vtune/rdc/global_data/vtserver_blansky/ directory. So the question is if the files that I have are enough or I should have the structure that you have described above (and if yes what should I do to create the similar environment)?

Hi,
I also have the same problem (I'm working with blansky), it seems that there are no permisions to none root user to activate the sampling (with root user everything works). How can I change the permissions so a regular user will be able to run the sampling project?

Thanks,
Dan
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - blansky

Hi Peter,

It seems that you are using sampling remote data collector on Linux* side ONLY, so you can't find vtl & vtlec. .vws file is notrequired for remote data collection.

It is good that you have environment.xml under proper directory. I saw that you have vtune drived loaded...can you check if your user account is in "vtune" group?

By the way, VTune Analyzer v9.0 is too old - can you please use lastet v9.1 Update 2?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos