Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Sampling results over time

jayaprakashp
Beginner
Hi there,
I was trying to do a profiling (time-based sampling) of some functions. I would like to look at the results over each sample. As an example, say , if I configure the sampling to run for 10 minutes with each sampling interval set at 1 min. I would like to see the counter values for each of the 10 sampling intervals. That is, there should be 10 different points for each counter (1 per minute for 10 minutes). Does any of you know if VTune allows one to do this? I was playing around with options and I saw this "Display Sampling Results Over Time" in the Configure -> modify activity-> general menu. But that does not seem to do anything close to that I want.
Any body has an idea as to how to do it? I know you can sample for 1 minute. Terminate the application. Run it again for 2 minutes and stop. Then for 3 minutes and stop. Repeat this for each interval you want. But that's just too much time consuming. Anyone knows how to do this? Ideaswould be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
JP
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anonymous24
Beginner
JP:
What "counters" are you wanting to see?
When using Time-based Sampling, there are no counters. The analyzer simply programs the OS to interrupt based on a timer and then the analyzer collects data about what code was executing at the time (i.e. EIP, PID, TID).
Regards,
dlanders
0 Kudos