Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Tachyon hotspots analysis tutorial crash

newmanak
Beginner
Hello,

I have been trying to complete the tachyon hotspots tutorial for VTune Amplifier XE 2011 (evaluation copy) on Windows Vista Ultimate (I have Admin access), and have encountered some problems.

When I run the find_hotspots program in Visual Studio without analysis the program renders the picture, my problem only occurs when analysing the problem with Vtune.

I've tried running the tutorial integrated with Visual studio 2008 and in the standalone GUI for Vtune Amplifier and get the following message in the find_hotspots.exe window:

"Using Default Image file
Use -? for additional options and usage model

Parser returned a non-zero error code reading ..\\dat\\balls.dat
Aborting render..."

Followed by a Microsoft Windows window which advises me that find_hotspots.exe has stopped working.

I noticed other posts had a similar issue using the GUI and Visual studio. I tried running the analyser from the command line (using the "Get Command Line" botton integrated with Visual Studio) and recieved the message " 'amplxe-cl' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file", is there a way to get around this?

Cheers,
Newman
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Maybe you haven't set agrument correctly, I show you example in command line:

1. cd tachyon\vc8\find_hotspots_Win32_Debug; which has built exe file

2. tachyon\vc8\find_hotspots_Win32_Debug>"\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2011\amplxe-vars.bat"
Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 (build 176374)

3. tachyon\vc8\find_hotspots_Win32_Debug>amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -- ./find_hotspots.exe ..\..\dat\balls.dat

It should work.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
newmanak
Beginner
Hi Peter,

I tried this and it didn't work.

When following step 2 I recieve the following message in the command window: "The system cannot find the path specified". I know I have entered the path correctly as I directly copied it from windows explorer.

Have I done something wrong in my batch file (below)? In the batch file (file path) is actually the path to the tachyon folder, I am not using string substitution. Removing "c:" from the second line gave me the same error message.

cd "(file path)\tachyon\vc8\find_hotspots_Win32_Debug"
tachyon\vc8\find_hotspots_Win32_Debug > "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2011\amplxe-vars.bat"
tachyon\vc8\find_hotspots_Win32_Debug > amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -- ./find_hotspots.exe "(file path)\tachyon\dat\balls.dat"

Cheers,
Newman

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
I realize that you are working on Vista.Did you use local administrator user, or turn off UAC?

Are you sure that you installed the product on "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2011"?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
newmanak
Beginner
Hi Peter,

I am a local admin on vista.

I double checked, and the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2011" contains a large number of subfolders (eg bin32, bin64, config, documentation, include, licenses etc) also the gui executable and a large number of other executables are in these subfolders. Are these the files you wanted to check were installed there?

Regards,
Newman
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Can't you find amplxe-var.bat under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2011"?

If it exists, why can'tamplxe-var.bat be run incommand prompt?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
newmanak
Beginner
Hi Peter,

Yes, sorry, "amplxe-var.bat" is in that directory. When I tried running just amplxe-var.bat by itself I recieved a windows generated message saying it is not a valid Win32 application. Would this explain why it can't be run in command prompt? Or did I get that message because it is meant to run with something else? My knowledge of batch files is very limited...

Regards,
Newman
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
On Vista, I justtyped"cmd" (in "search program and file" box) then right-clickon resultto run asadministrator.

Under c:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2011, ran amplxe-var.bat without any problem.

I don't know why it said "it is not a valid Win32 application" on your side, you may ask support from Microsoft. Sorry that I can't reproduce this problem on my side.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos