Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Time-based sampling not available via Windows and remote collector: How?

lhartzman
Beginner
I found an article on this site that time-based sampling is not available for the remote collectors. This explains why I cannot select TBS as a sampling type and why the hotspot icons in the GUI are also grayed out. In that case how am I suppopsed to get a report on hotspots?

Do I need the Linux product and just use the Windows one for examining the results?

Les
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Personally, I do find the remote collector the least convenient of the several options. However, I would question why you want TBS. Back when there was partial support for AMD CPUs, TBS was the only option, but there no longer is any AMD support in VTune. In EBS, time event sampling is on by default, it's more accurate than TBS.
0 Kudos
lhartzman
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
Personally, I do find the remote collector the least convenient of the several options. However, I would question why you want TBS. Back when there was partial support for AMD CPUs, TBS was the only option, but there no longer is any AMD support in VTune. In EBS, time event sampling is on by default, it's more accurate than TBS.
If I don't need TBS, how do I get hotspot reports? I've got the hotspot view options checked, but all is grayed out. What else do I need to do?

0 Kudos
Corey_A_Intel
Employee
Quoting - lhartzman
I found an article on this site that time-based sampling is not available for the remote collectors. This explains why I cannot select TBS as a sampling type and why the hotspot icons in the GUI are also grayed out. In that case how am I suppopsed to get a report on hotspots?

Do I need the Linux product and just use the Windows one for examining the results?

Les

>>>If I don't need TBS, how do I get hotspot reports? >>>I've got the hotspot view options checked, but all is >>>grayed out. What else do I need to do?

Hi,

You can use Event Based sampling (EBS) and collect data for Clockticks.

As for the Remote Data Collector, you can use the Windows* application of VTune analyzer with the Linux Remote Data Collector that comes with it. The Remote Data Collection (RDC) from your Windows* VTune analyzer is not compatible with previous versions of VTune analyzer. You should use the RDC that came with your current version.

Regards,
Corey
0 Kudos
lhartzman
Beginner

>>>If I don't need TBS, how do I get hotspot reports? >>>I've got the hotspot view options checked, but all is >>>grayed out. What else do I need to do?

Hi,

You can use Event Based sampling (EBS) and collect data for Clockticks.

As for the Remote Data Collector, you can use the Windows* application of VTune analyzer with the Linux Remote Data Collector that comes with it. The Remote Data Collection (RDC) from your Windows* VTune analyzer is not compatible with previous versions of VTune analyzer. You should use the RDC that came with your current version.

Regards,
Corey
Clockticks already seem to be collected. But I can find no way through the online help to guide me to hotspot analysis. The icons in the GUI to provide for this are disabled. The clockticks are for each application running on the box, but that doesn't give a breakdown of the performance of individual functions in the application .

The RDC that I'm using came with the v9.1 version of Windows VTune, so there is no mismatch.

Les
0 Kudos
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - lhartzman
Clockticks already seem to be collected. But I can find no way through the online help to guide me to hotspot analysis. The icons in the GUI to provide for this are disabled. The clockticks are for each application running on the box, but that doesn't give a breakdown of the performance of individual functions in the application .

The RDC that I'm using came with the v9.1 version of Windows VTune, so there is no mismatch.
The hot spots button is normally grayed out, until you resolve the events down to the module level (the button immediately to the left of the hot spots button). The view you are probably looking at is the process view, which is probably why you're seeing "each application." If your application of interest appears in the process view but is not the one that is selected,try selecting it and then hitting the module view button. The display should change to show all the modules in your application, (and the hot spot button should stop being grayed out).
0 Kudos