Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Time spent in functions ?

dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

Hi,

I have an application built with intel compilers (version 15) and -g -O2 mode (optim+debug info).

The application was run through amplxe-cl -collect hotspots.

When lauchin VTune on the collected info, I would expect to find (as explained in a tutorial video) the time spent in the more time consuming function. Instead, I get:

vtune-bu.png

Which is not really helpful.

Also, VTune seems a little bit confused with the concept of function vs library (see image below).

Is there an alternative to VTune do profile code compiled with  Intel ? I just need the usual information, time spend in functions, loops, cache misses etc...

Regards

vtune-fct.png

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

I think the reason of this confused view is inability to locate binary files which you submitted before. Due to that VTune wasn't able to get any function info from the binary since it wasn't able to locate it - it marked everything fallen to corresponding module as [module].

Are you launching or attaching to the application? Do you start collection right from VTune GUI?

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

Th collection was started from the command line through Intel's mpiexec.hydra (--collect hotspots).

I then started amplxe-gui and loaded a .amplxe file.

The problem is that I cannot edit the 'analysis target' view (I don't know why) where the binary_location seems to be specified.I copied the binary in the same directory as the .amplxe file, just in case, but it did not change anything.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

If you create "all" subdirectory in result dir and put all the binary files there, then run Re-resolve from GUI, the problem should gone.

When you start analysis, you may specify -no-auto-finalize option for amplxe-cl. Then finalize result specifying binary and symbol files location via:

> amplxe-cl -I -search-dir=<path> -r <result_dir_path>

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

Could you please provide the fill command line?

Is fwt_sp a user bunary? Then it looks strange that with default -g option we don't see symbols for the module by deafult..

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

Hello dmitry, I think it might be related with Vitaly's comment. That is, the different search path are missing. I'm re-running finalize with those path specified, but it take time.

I'll tell you how it went.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

I'm trying to understand why it does not work out-of-the box. Theoretically if result finalization is done on the same machine when collection wa run - we should not see the picture as you posted so it would be very helpful to see the exact command line you used (you can obfuscate the appication name if needed).

Thank you, Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

The application was launched through:

mpiexec.hydra -f $OAR_FILE_NODES -bootstrap-exec oarsh -perhost $nb_cpu amplxe-cl -r fwt_sp_vtune -collect hotspots -- ./fwt_sp

which generated 4 directories:

[alainm@gurney inclusion_workvtune]$ ls fwt_sp_vtune.?
fwt_sp_vtune.0:
archive  config  data.0  fwt_sp  fwt_sp_vtune.0.amplxe  runtool.12566.ipc  sqlite-db

fwt_sp_vtune.1:
archive  config  data.0  fwt_sp_vtune.1.amplxe  runtool.12568.ipc

fwt_sp_vtune.2:
archive  config  data.0  fwt_sp_vtune.2.amplxe

fwt_sp_vtune.3:
archive  config  data.0  fwt_sp_vtune.3.amplxe
[alainm@gurney inclusion_workvtune]$

I'm tryin to analyze the number 0.

Also, I did run the finalize from the command line agn (specifying the path) and I still get the "could not locate file" error. Here is the log

note the all those flles (appart from [vsyscall] exists:

[alainm@gurney inclusion_workvtune]$ for i in $(grep Cannot ./fin.log  | sed -e 's/.*`//' -e 's/..$//'); do ls $i; done
/usr/lib64/libdaploucm.so.2
ls: cannot access [vsyscall]: No such file or directory
/softs/intel/impi/5.0.1.035/intel64/lib/libmpifort.so.12.0
/lib64/libpthread-2.12.so
/usr/lib64/libibverbs.so.1
/softs/intel/composer_xe_2015.0.090/compiler/lib/intel64/libiomp5.so
/softs/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.1.1.380310/lib64/libtpsstool.so
/softs/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.1.1.380310/lib64/pinruntime/glibc/libc-2.3.4.so
/softs/intel/impi/5.0.1.035/intel64/lib/release/libmpi.so.12.0
/softs/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.1.1.380310/lib64/runtime/libittnotify.so
/usr/lib64/libdaploscm.so.2
/lib64/ld-2.12.so
/bin/grep
/bin/bash
/usr/bin/numactl
/lib64/libc-2.12.so
/usr/lib64/libmlx4-rdmav2.so
/bin/gawk
/usr/lib64/libdaplofa.so.2
[alainm@gurney inclusion_workvtune]$

Also, the fwt_sp file (which is the profiled aplication) has been copied from the parent directory.

A++

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

When running through mpi on different nodes from where the application was built, and possibly analyzing on yet another node, it's hardly surprising that search paths may need setting.

If, as is usually the case, a single node VTune collection is sufficient, that is a useful learning step as it doesn't involve analyzing separately data collection from various nodes.

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

From the information you provided we can see that  fwt_sp_vtune.1,fwt_sp_vtune.2,fwt_sp_vtune.3 don't have sqlite-db directory and most likely the same was with fwt_sp_vtune.0 until you start manual result opening that created it with unresolved modules. This is unexpected. Could you please look at output spawned by VTune on compute node under mpiexec.hydra? Probably we can see there why the results were not finalized. 

On search directories: please use multiple -search-dir options (per direcory) rather than one -search-dir with colon separating multiple directories. It should help if the paths are valid.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

here is the ampl-xe output collected under mpiexec.hydra:

could the following (to which I should have paid attention) explan the issue:

amplxe: Warning: The specified data limit of 500 MB is reached. Data collection is stopped.
amplxe: Collection detached.
amplxe: Warning: The specified data limit of 500 MB is reached. Data collection is stopped.

???

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

I'm not sure it went through, I'll try again:

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

There should not be something wrong that data limit was reached.

But usually after collection is finished successfully VTune should report at the end with 

amplxe: Collection stopped.

in output even it was detached with data limit. And after this finalization usually starts. We don't see 4 records "Collection stopped" in the output. Can be the case that the job on the cluster was ended by timeout? Did you see all expected output?

Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

I can also notice that based on result directory structure (existing .ipc files) collection hasn't been finished yet to the moment result was opened in GUI. If you launch application via amplxe-cl, you need to wait until application finishes before opening results even if data limit was reached. I suspect you have fwt_sp and amplxe-cl processes running when you open results.

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

There is a possibility that the collection was interrupted by the job scheduler. I just relaunched with a longer time limit. The previous limit was based on the job runtime alone plus a security. I just added an hour.

I'll post the conclusions.

Thanks

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

FWIT, it was restarted with:

mpiexec.hydra -f $OAR_FILE_NODES -bootstrap-exec oarsh -perhost 2 amplxe-cl -r fwt_sp_vtune -no-auto-finalize -target-duration-type=long -collect hotspots -- ./fwt_sp

Note that I already have the:

message despite the -target-duration-type=long, I do not know if this is to be expected.

Alain

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

This warning appears when amount of data collected reaches 500Mb (default value). You can override it via corresponding command line option though if you collect too much data, GUI might become sluggish.

Also, if you launch amplxe-cl via mpiexec I would recommend to remove "-no-auto-finalize" option to avoid binary location problem you have in another post. Without it results will be finalized on the nodes where collection occurred.

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

So, I ran with no limit on data size and thus got no warnings related with size limits.

I ran the 'finalize' off line, on a different machine, but with the same filesystem.

The  result is the same.

I just connected on the run node in order to run the finalize again in precisely the same environment.

Note that it still complain about not finding files that are there

mplxe: Warning: Cannot locate file `/lib64/libc-2.12.so'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate file `/softs/intel/impi/5.0.1.035/intel64/lib/libmpifort.so.12.0'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate file `/softs/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.1.1.380310/lib64/pinruntime/glibc/libc-2.3.4.so'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate file `/softs/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.1.1.380310/lib64/libtpsstool.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 33 % Resolving information for `libmpi.so.12.0'      
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate file `/lib64/libpthread-2.12.so'.

in particular: /softs is mounted  on both machines.

Alain

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

Also, if I let the limit on the collected data size I get the " amplxe: Collection detached. " message.

Alain

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

So using exactly the same machine for finalize, I got

amplxe: Using result path `/gpfs/scratch/alainm/view/seiscope/codes/3D_Acoustic/FWT3D_DSFDM/trunk/relsym/demo/inclusion_workvtune1/fwt_sp_vtune.0'
amplxe: Executing actions  0 %                                                 
amplxe: Warning: The result contains a lot of raw data. Finalization may take a long time to complete.
amplxe: Executing actions 23 % Loading '10935-10955.0.trace' file              

amplxe: Executing actions 33 % Resolving module symbols                        
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate file `[vsyscall]'.
amplxe: Executing actions 35 % Resolving information for `libpthread-2.12.so'  
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `/lib64/libpthread-2.12.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 36 % Resolving information for `libc-2.12.so'        
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `/lib64/libc-2.12.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 37 % Resolving information for `libdl-2.12.so'       
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `/lib64/libdl-2.12.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 37 % Resolving information for `libtpsstool.so'      
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `/softs/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.1.1.380310/lib64/libtpsstool.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 38 % Resolving information for `ld-2.12.so'          
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `/lib64/ld-2.12.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 38 % Resolving information for `libc-2.3.4.so'       
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `/softs/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.1.1.380310/lib64/pinruntime/glibc/libc-2.3.4.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 40 % Resolving information for `libittnotify.so'     
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `/softs/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.1.1.380310/lib64/runtime/libittnotify.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 100 % done                                           
[alainm@r428 inclusion_workvtune1]$

Which is better, but weirds. Some of these files (the ones in /softs) are on the same filesystem.

ALain

0 Kudos
dsi-intel_d_
Beginner

And launching the gui from the same machine raises more ralstic measures.

0 Kudos