Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Timeline events

selmilab
Beginner

Hi, I'm a happy vtune user and I'd like to ask you a question. Is it possible to add custom events to the timeline?

I mean, on windows you have some functions that, when called in your program, will generate an event. These events will be recorded by xperf and shown on the timeline displayed by xperfview. These events are extremely helpful because they allow me to know exactly where in the code am I when I'm looking at the timeline.

Is it possible to so such thing with vtune on linux?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
selmilab
Beginner

Maybe Frame API is what I'm looking for

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I'm not familiar with xperf, and don't know what exact custom events you want to insert into timeline report in VTune(TM) Amplifier XE.

Frame API is useful to measure critical code area for each frame (iteration), see this article to know more (also there is a simple example) 

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Which xperf events are you reffering to?

0 Kudos
selmilab
Beginner

Peter Wang (Intel) wrote:

I'm not familiar with xperf, and don't know what exact custom events you want to insert into timeline report in VTune(TM) Amplifier XE.

Frame API is useful to measure critical code area for each frame (iteration), see this article to know more (also there is a simple example) 

Yes, Frame APIs seems the way to go. Basically, I need a function that creates a "mark" and this mark should be visible on vtune's timeline

0 Kudos
selmilab
Beginner

iliyapolak wrote:

Which xperf events are you reffering to?

ETW events. The ones generated by functions like EventWrite

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Interesting I was personally more interested in programming performance counters.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I mean, on windows you have some functions that, when called in your program, will generate an event... Could you provide an example of functions you want "monitor" for events? Are these Win32 API functions?
0 Kudos