Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Track the memory usage as a function of time

Kevin_Z_
Beginner

Hi forum users,

I have an executable and I would like to track its memory usage as a function of time. I tried the "memory access" view point, but could not extract this information.

The only relevant post I found on this topic is an ancient one. https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-vtune-amplifier-xe/topic/309766

Is this possible with VTune? What is the correct analysis set up? Any comment is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Kevin:

Yeah, VTune Amplifier is not really the right tool to measure memory usage.  Amplifier's memory analysis is targeted at determining memory-related architecture issues that may inhibit hotspots from achieving their maximum performance.

For memory usage analysis, I would recommend the Intel® Inspector.  Inspector has the ability to track heap growth and display this in real-time as well as analyze it after collection completes.  Check out this article.  Intel Inspector XE is part of the Intel® Parallel Studio XE.

Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@Kevin Z

It depends on your demands - if you need to know memory growth in specific period, please use Inspector; if you need to know memory objects' cost (load & average latency) in specific function, please refer to this blog.